Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: new ideas in quilting.

Blog Entries
    I just wondered if any of you are really up to date in the latest trends and ideas in quilting. Other people seem to find new ideas and not me.

Power Poster
    I find the latest and greatest ideas right here on the board. I am alway behind this group. Last year they were making bow tucks, this year I am. Last year they were making D9P quilts this year I am making D4P. So to answer your question, no, I don't think I am up to date.

I agree with SueDor, I am on behind!

I'm not a trendy girl at all. I like my old tradtional stuff. Soo new to me is old. :wink:

Banned
    I have a folder on my network drive called "Inspirations". When I'm browsing the web, and I see something that I love, I save the picture to this folder. I can save from any computer in the house as well as access it, which makes it nice. The file is now huge, and when I need inspiration, I go take a peek! I don't care what's trendy, I just care that I love it!

CJ I'm with you. Trying to keep up with trends can be like chasing your tail. Every gadget isn't worth trying for me. Inspiration is more important.

Blog Entries
    Don't know if I am up to date or not, but I've gotten lots of great ideas on this board. My latest favorite is a Yogi Bear tube quilt I made for my grandson.

Blog Entries
    Don't want latest or greatest. I like the old quilts style and i need more time to do them. Have about 20 or so quilts i want to make. Have about 30 things i want to knit. New isn't on my radar.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your inspirational messages. I really meant those ideas people have ie. quick way to do flying geese, or three seam blocks.
    I find them fun to compare with trasditional. I hate new notions they never seem to work for me.#

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjtinkle
    I have a folder on my network drive called "Inspirations". When I'm browsing the web, and I see something that I love, I save the picture to this folder. I can save from any computer in the house as well as access it, which makes it nice. The file is now huge, and when I need inspiration, I go take a peek! I don't care what's trendy, I just care that I love it!
    I love this idea, I'm going to have to start doing this

Banned
    I think the latest trend is whatever makes me want to sew. :)

I am having fun. :D I definitely like gadgets and techniques that help me make quilts.

Trendy is not for me. After nearly 40 years, I've settled on Civil War and 1930s. But I love what everyone is doing. For myself, I'm working through the classics with my own innovations. Grandmas Fan, Double X, Broken Dishes, Hexagons, Log Cabin, Chips and Whetstones, Lady of the Lake, they'll never get old.

Trends, schmends !! I do whatever floats my boat on any given day, which is subject to change by the time the next day comes around. :-)

Totally agree, and use the same approach.

Blog Entries
    I like to browse the LQS to see all the new/latest/greatest things out there. I admit to being a "gadget girl" and like to try new things. I usually like to learn at least 1 new thing with each quilt...frequently I learn more than 1 thing (like how NOT to do something! ) This board really helps me in keeping up though...so do a few select magazine subscriptions.

The quilting magazines are pushing modern style quilts. Simple geometric blocks that look more modern.
    Not my style, Im still in old style mode, stars and blocks with a challenge.
    I think they want you to make tops quickly so you will buy more fabric sooner.
    I want to make a kalidescope if I ever get caught up on my unfinished projects.

Redmadder, I love the civil war period and 1930's quilt styles also. Someone (maybe it was you?) suggested the book "Alice's Tulips" about quilters during the civil war. I am reading it now and it is very enjoyable...thought you might like it also...of course, unless you were the one who already read it.

I like techniques that make things easier........but, at
    my age, it might be easier to stick to my way instead of
    learning something new.

I do what I like and I don't care if it's trendy or not. I save on my computer what I love and go over the pictures whenever I want to make something new. If you want to go with the trendy stuff you have to change everything to match the quilt you just made LOL. You can learn something new and not be trendy :D

Blog Entries
    This is what I do. The inspiration and new quilt ideas never end. :-P

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    I just wondered if any of you are really up to date in the latest trends and ideas in quilting. Other people seem to find new ideas and not me.
    Keep watching these Boards ... you'll see lots of ideas that are new to YOU ... yet may be old to another quilter! Similarily, what is interestng and intriguing to you, may be of no interest to someone else!

So, as said, a good source is right here on the Threads!!

Quote Originally Posted by thomp116
    Don't know if I am up to date or not, but I've gotten lots of great ideas on this board. My latest favorite is a Yogi Bear tube quilt I made for my grandson.
    I am totally curious! Would you please show us what this might be? Thanks!!

It appears Judy Neimeyer designs are all the rage. But they are complicated. I prefer Lisa Moore and ToadUSew quilt patterns because, even though they look somewhat complicated, their methods make them easy. As far as fabric designs. There's so much out there - it's a personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerjoy
    Redmadder, I love the civil war period and 1930's quilt styles also. Someone (maybe it was you?) suggested the book "Alice's Tulips" about quilters during the civil war. I am reading it now and it is very enjoyable...thought you might like it also...of course, unless you were the one who already read it.
    I just finished "Alice's Tulips" last night. Ive got only one Sandra Dallas book left to read - they are great. I enjoy feedsack repros and patterns.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast