Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New iron needed >

New iron needed

New iron needed

Old 02-15-2013, 08:23 PM

I have a Shark that I bought at Costco. It worked great for a while. Now it spits water everywhere, doesn't heat up well, and I have to poke at the turn on/turn up button about fifty times to get it on. Stupid iron! It replaced my Sunbeam that we received as a wedding gift 24 years ago that still worked. Costco doesn't carry it any longer, so that must tell you something. I need a new one too!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Actually, Nancy, you only missed a "y" in Puyallup...so for a non-native, you did great!
Originally Posted by nancy14418 View Post
I can't say enough the Oslo Iron. Got one several years ago, I think they had just come out, at the sewing & quilt show in Puallup, WA. (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, sorry WA folks) Anyway, the iron is wonderful, gets hot fast, doesn't spit, but most important it has legs that come out when you take your hand off of the iron. It stands up an inch or so off the ironing board. Such a blessing with my unhappy hands!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I own an Oliso, a Reliable and a Delonghi iron. Out of the three, I love the Delonghi. It has a huge separate tank that lasts forever and it steams very well at any heat. The handle is very comfortable - made out of cork. It doesn't spit ever! It was very reasonable for this type of iron. It will last forever! The Reliable controls are at the top of the handle and I keep hitting those when I pick it up and turning it off by accident and then when I go to use it again, I have to turn it on and wait for it to heat back up. If I remember to hold it at the bottom, it works great and the steam is very good and it doesn't ever spit and has a way to make it not shut off. The Oliso works great, but shuts off after so many minutes of non use, but heats up fast - no spitting at all.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:34 AM

Wow!! The gremlins must have been busy going after our irons the last few months!! I need a new one also!!!
I have a Rowentta and the cord is having issues at the iron base - the rubber extension that is supposed to protect it has separated about 3/4" from the base so needless to say the cord looks like it is getting a lot of wear and tear on it's covering. I tried to tape the rubber back together with duct tape but it really isn't doing the job.

This is my 2nd Rowentta and I had a lot of issues with the first but thought that I would try again - The 2nd one has lasted longer but I think that I may opt for a cheaper brand the next time.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:12 PM

I buy a new iron every 4-5-6-7 years... I find one I like the *heft and feel of* in the store, and in the $20-25 range in price, either regular pricve or on sale. I dont put water in them, but use a spritzer bottle. Sometimes they just *quit working* and i get another one.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:52 AM

I had a Rowenta with the retractable cord. The iron leaked a lot and water ran into the base part and pretty soon I was getting spots on my fabric. It was from the rust coming out where the cord retracted. I bought a B&D and have had very good luck with it. I inherated another Rowenta just like my first one but have not used it yet. Don't know if I will. I got so tired of the water leaking all the time.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:54 AM
Banned

I use a very old iron I got at an estate auction or yard sale when I got married. (gotta be frugal!) The steam function no longer works. I use a spray bottle with water so I can gently mist the fabric and then iron. IMO, it works better than a regular steam iron anyway!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM

I have a Panasonic that I have had for several years. I like it because it does a good job ironing and it isn't extremely heavy.It has been bounced off the floor and it still works.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 AM

I just buy the cheap ones in Walmart work real good.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 AM

My Rowena made in Germany problem is now that I am recovering from major surgery its too heavy. calla