Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Iron

New Iron

My Rowenta went to heaven and I need a new iron. I want one with at least 1500 watts and no Auto Shut Off.
    Have looked everywhere I can think of. Does any one know where I can find this iron?

Blog Entries
    I have an $8.00 Rival from the $ store that I love. I'm not sure what the wattage is but, it get's very hot & DOESN"T have the auto shut-off. I bought a much heavier GE but, I don't like it at all. TO heavy, auto shut-off and just doesn't seem to get as hot as my el-cheapo. Good luck in your search.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

If you have a Big Lots nearby, check there. They often have name-brand irons and I have seen ones without the auto-shutoff there.

Irons in heaven? That just don't sound right ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I recently bought a new iron - thought I got one without auto shut-off - appears I was wrong. Went and got the $8 Rival at Wally-World and love it!

Why not? I believe the Angels like their robes wrinkle free. I guess I am Old School. I iron or press everything. DH wouldn't wear rough dry clothes.

Blog Entries
    Can you iron gossamer? lol The one I just bought is another Shark which gets quite hot but it does have an auto shutoff.

I figure that an iron these days lasts about 2 years with quilting use, so I will not invest a lot of money.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    I am not very wifey when it comes to catering to DH likes and dislikes about laundry or any other household chore. LOL. I have the B&D Classic and I'm happy with it. It's the one I take to classes and it's been dropped many times, still works and steams great. I found the no auto shut off one at Lowe's.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Does a steamer work for quilting? Actually for Ironing fabric before cutting?

Try the Oliso. 1800 watts, a long auto shut-off (which I love), a very long (12') cord. They're pricey ... but I think they're worth it.

http://www.oliso.com/index.php/oliso...rs-sewers.html
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Wrinkles in heaven don't sound right either ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

[QUOTEI recently bought a new iron - thought I got one without auto shut-off - appears I was wrong. Went and got the $8 Rival at Wally-World and love it! ][/QUOTE]
    Dang! I just passed on that $8 iron cause I thought something that cheap couldn't be good!
    http://www.thingsthatarenotperfect.blogspot.com/

When my Rowenta died, it certainly didn't go to heaven. Think flames. I bought a Reliable Digital Velocity V100 iron. You can put it in the "no shut-off" mode, or leave it in the mode where it shuts off. It's 1800 watts, and built so that it cannot leak. The steam is fantastic, though I usually iron dry.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    Irons in heaven? That just don't sound right ;-)
    There will be no irons waiting for me in heaven

You might want to try "Tuesday Morning" also. They are a discount store that sell household items and a little bit of everything, including quilt and art supplies. They don't have a lot of these, but their prices are great and quality is also usually very good. You can also shop on-line with them if there isn't a store near you.

Why not another Rowenta? That's what I have been using for many years and it doesn't have an auto shut off. Love it.

I bought a Rowenta nine years ago without an auto shut-off. It is still working fine. IMHO I will never buy an auto shut off Rowenta again! The three I had were short-lived. My other fav irons are the three I picked up at thrift stores...all Proctor Silex and love them! $3 each!

Jim
    HomeDepot also has an iron that I've heard many quilters like. No steam and no holes. Don't know the wattage.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by gotta-sew View Post
    Why not another Rowenta? That's what I have been using for many years and it doesn't have an auto shut off. Love it.
    I love mine too, works great!

Blog Entries
    well many, many quilters have complained about Rowenta's catching fire. mine was fine for years but finally blew out my power cord. no fire but it went into the trash. I have a Shark but am still looking for a good iron.

Blog Entries
    Ha-ha. Rowentas don't go to heaven.

I just bought a Reliable Velocity after my third rowenta caught fire. (it is bright orange) It has a disable mode so you can leave the iron on or use the auto off. I love it. It really does not leak and has great steam that you can turn on and off as you use the iron.

I got it through All Brands. This machine is usually about $100.00 but I got it for $60.00 cause it is a returned piece and the box was open. It was a chance but a good one so far. I love it.

to use the disable mode you hold the steam button in for eight seconds and the lights blink to let you know. It does have to be reset after it has been unpluged but that is a little thing to do. Having steady heat is important to quilters.

hope this helps a little.
    peace

EDIT: Newer rowentas have auto off
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

My old trusty Rowenta stopped getting hot enough, so I read on the boards how good the shark iron was....its been relegated to laundry room, I hated it for quilting. Bought a cheapie no-shut-off at Wally World, hated that too, although it's light enough I'll take it on my retreat. Went to Costco and got myself a brandy-new Rowenta and am a happy girl again. It does have auto-shutoff, but I'll deal with that.
    ​Nancy

I bought a Euro at a quilt show and love it. The show price was quite a bit less than the online price. It never shuts off and lays flat on a teflon pad. This eliminates the added wrist action that is necessary to bring an upright iron horizontal. That saves on carpel tunnel pain in a big way.

The demo at the show was quite impressive. This is what they advertise:

"It has one tempurature that works perfectly on any fabric, from denim to lace and even silk. It will never burn, scorch, leave a shine or crush any fabric ever" http://www.eurosteam.us/

Try Amazon...they have a plethora of different irons. I bought a little travel iron and I love it for quilting, no auto shut-off and steams fine.

I thought my Sunbeam Iron wasn't getting hot enough several years ago, so I bought a Black and Decker. It's still in the box unopened; I'm still using the Sunbeam. It "hasn't scorched yet", but it does the trick. It has a very long auto shut-off when standing on end (I think it is 14 minutes), but only about two minutes if the iron is flat. That means I have to tip the iron up a little every once in a while while I'm doing a lot of flat pressing. But there is a light on the handle that blinks when the heat goes off, so I know when to flip it.

I don't remember where I bought it, but it may have been at a rummage sale. It has a 12 foot cord and see through water tank. Since I only use distilled water in it, it has given me no trouble in the last 10 years or more. I have directions on how to clean the water tank, but I've done that about twice since I've had it.

Expensive is not always better. Right now, I'm looking for one of those smaller travel irons to take to classes.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast