Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Laundry Detergent >

New Laundry Detergent

New Laundry Detergent

Old 07-10-2014, 03:20 AM
Suz

I have Color Catchers (looks like a stiff dryer sheet) and use when I question bleeding. Works great. If the Quilt of Valor has a lot of red, I throw in two. Purchased alongside detergents at the local grocery shop.

Peckish mentioned the scent of Tide. I make my own detergent and have used it for several years. It works well, is cheap and you can add the essential oil scent you like. I also wash w/cold water. I will look up the link and add it here when I find it.

http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/2010...-laundry-soap/

Last edited by Suz; 07-10-2014 at 03:29 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:24 AM

I have never liked the scent (smell) of Tide, so would never use it. I used Purex years ago. I now use the unscented hypoallergenic All. I only sort to two batches, darks and white/lights. I love the All and have never had a problem with color bleeding. I also use it for washing quilts that will be given away. I may try the Purex if I can find it, but would prefer that it had no scent at all.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:36 AM

Haven't tried the new Purex but am a confirmed Purex user. I mainly use the Hypoallergenic no scent Purex or Purex Elements. I also use their softner. I shop at Publix which periodically has a Purex BOGO deal-love Purex & Publix!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
I haven't heard of it, but I sure would be paranoid about using it.
I do NOT use ANY commercial laundry detergents for washing my quilts. I use only the ones made specifically for washing quilts.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:54 AM

Are you using this product for general washing of cloths or your quilts. i also would be leary of using this product on my quilts. It is not the same as a color catcher since it should add cemicals to the water unlike a color catcher. I was taught to use gental stuff when washing quilts such as quilt washing liquid or ORVAS and not even Woolite. Better to be safe that sorry.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I do NOT use ANY commercial laundry detergents for washing my quilts. I use only the ones made specifically for washing quilts.
I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
I use Ecos - it's non-allergenic and approved by PETA. I never sort clothes. The only thing that gets washed separately is a pair of new jeans. After about 10 washes, they are good to go. We wash in cold water. I've made a lot of the shirts, sweatshirts and household items like shower curtains etc. If it can't go in the wash, I don't want it. Quilt goes in by itself just for room in the washer. I had more trouble from a washer that was leaking grease than color transfer.
I use Ecos as well. I get it at Sam's Club and it is so economical and does such a good job. I use it in cold. The only thing I am leery of is reds especially if they are knit like tshirts. Other than that I do colors and whites together with no problem.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I only use cold water tide and use it to wash my quilts in. I use to use Wal Mart generic, I guess the big manufacturers had a fit until they took it off the shelves. That is when I switched to tide. Scent of it doesn't bother me. If you use the proper amount there is no problem. I have a top loading machine and wouldn't have a front loader.
I have heard of the purex. I only use liquid detergent.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by sept97 View Post
I use whatever is on sale and I never sort my clothes. When I have enough to do a load I throw it all in
I make my own laundry soap as liquid and it works great. After a few washes the most used clothing goes in the same load. Like stated, only new stuff gets any special attention.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I bought Ecos for my grandbabies colored clothes. When the jug is empty I won't buy any more. Ecos won't remove general food stains at all and many mud stains are still in the clothes. Dreft removes the stains in the first wash. I use Tide pods for linens, towels, and kitchen laundry. I like the new Purex and don't sort my everyday clothes that much but will sort the have to be white clothes washed alone with Tide Vivid White. If my white clothes can't stand up to brand new white then they are dingy. All the brands I use are HE, as most detergents are now. I don't wash in cold water, only warm and hot, but I rinse in cold. I have a second rinse cycle with extended spin and leave the setting on that for all loads.