Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a new machine purchase is almost as bad as buying a new car >

a new machine purchase is almost as bad as buying a new car

a new machine purchase is almost as bad as buying a new car

Old 11-25-2011, 12:39 PM

Default a new machine purchase is almost as bad as buying a new car

my brain is exhausted from researching quilting machine specifications and reviews. For those of you who own a Janome MC6600p, I would love to know if you are happy with it and, whether or not, you would purchase the Janome 6600 again over another manufacturer or machine of equal or similar capability?

thanking you in advance for your time and response.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:03 PM

I don't have this machine but I love you're analogy!
Old 11-25-2011, 01:05 PM

I feel for you. I don't have that machine but I remember having difficulty when trying to decide. I'm very happy with my machines. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:56 PM

I go on retreat with several people that have them and LOVE them. If you have a dealer near you, go there and try one out. You don't say where you're from but if it's anywhere near central Illinois or Indiana go to Threads of Time in Danville Illinois and they'll help you. They have lots of machines to try, knowledgable employees that are ready and willing to spend time with you to help you decide the best machine for you, a comfortable showroom with lots of fabric and if you purchase a machine from them they offer free lessons. If you're not close, you can always pack an overnight bag and a bit of food and enjoy the retreat center's accomodations, although you'd want to call first and make sure they aren't booked to capacity.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:22 PM

(raising hand!)

I have it!! I have it!!!!

I love it!!! I love it!!!!!!

Seriously. About 6-7 years ago my husband gave me my choice of a sewing machine to replace my 1983 Sears Kenmore which needed a doctor more often, and I was starting to get back into sewing clothing for myself. I chose a Husqvarna Lily 535 - and I have NO problems with that machine. I still use it to sew with, especially if my Janome is set up for FMQ (because I'm lazy and I hate swapping out feet).

A year or so later I discovered quilting. Across the street from my Husky dealer is a LQS and they are Janome dealers (hubby and I didn't shop there when we were looking for a machine). At some point a few years ago I was measuring the harp width on the 6600P with my fingers and one of the store ladies came over and offered to show me the machine. It was love at first sight. I thanked her and left as I had a perfectly good sewing machine at home.

Flash forward a few more years and Janome introduces the Horizon 7700 - the same features as the 6600 with even more harp space. I ooohed and ahhhed that one too and the same store lady came over and we talked about the 7700 and she said that a few people were going to trade in their 6600's for a 7700. Hmmmm .... so ... she saved one for me

The Janome 6600 and I took a while before we *understood* each other. Sewing machines are indeed like cars - some are instantly comfortable to some people while others have to get used to them. Me and the Janome had a bit of getting used to - not much - but everything wasn't perfect right out of the box. At first I thought it was finicky about lesser quality thread, but I've since discovered it's not - perhaps I'm doing something different, I really can't say for sure, but things are super now and my machine and I speak the same language and she does everything I ask her to do.

I love the accufeed foot. I purchased the 1/4 accufeed foot and I use it to piece long strips. No pinning or gluing, just shoot two strips under the foot and feeds them nice and evenly.

I much prefer my Janome to my Husky for FMQ. I adore FMQ on the Janome! It's sooooo easy.

So the answer is no, I would not seek out a different manufacturer ... but I *might* seek out a 7700.

My only complaint about the Janome 6600 is the right rear screw that holds down the plate. I have very tiny hands and I still have to be a hand contortionist to remove that particular screw. I remove my plate quite often because I'm a constant cleaner of my machine (at least every bobbin change - and if I'm using "dirty" thread, more often).

Their new one (the one that has an even longer harp than the 7700, all the features of a 7700, PLUS it embroiders on a pretty darn big hoop to boot) is pretty awesome as well, but I can't justify spending $12K on a sewing machine. If someone were to give me one though I wouldn't refuse

So this is one big YES for the Janome 6600 (or 7700).
Old 11-25-2011, 02:34 PM

Here's the good, the accufeed system, the 1/4 inch foot, the price, the throat size, the durability, the auto threader, the thread cutter, the button system for stopping,etc . Here's the bad, that crappy screw/bar setup to attach the accufeed feet, NO bobbin thread empty warning, tends to come unthreaded from the uptake level all the time, tends to make nests if you are not careful after using the auto-cutter, and the manual.

I am happy with the 6600 and I use mine nearly every day. I cannot justify double the price for the 7700, even though it is nice because I would not use the extras. Nor can I justify the money for the 12000. Everybody is different.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:15 PM

I have the 6600...and am a little disappointed with it but only because of the way the foot pedal "accelerates"...or doesn't. Sometimes I feel that I'm working on a very OLD machine! If I had to get another one? Probably not the Janome...
Old 11-25-2011, 05:28 PM

I'm trying to decide if I should purchase the Jamone 6600 or the elna excellance. Dose anyone have an elna?
Old 11-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

No sorry do not have either one of these machines, but I am sure they are both wonderful machines, I have 6 Husqvarna's and I love them all. Good luck and I agree it is like shopping for a car!!!
Old 11-25-2011, 07:13 PM

I love, love, love my Janome 6600P! The only thing wrong with it is, it is too heavy for me to take out of my cabinet and take to a class or sewing with a friend. This fall I bought the Janome 3160. It has many of the features and decorative stitches that the 6600 has, but is only 12 pounds. Problem solved, happy, happy, happy.