Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New machine ? >

New machine ?

New machine ?

Old 11-06-2015, 04:08 AM

Default New machine ?

I am thinking of purchasing a brother machine at walmart,I dont need anything fancy and it is in my price range with every thing I want, my question is should I purchase the protection plan walmart offers or not ,40 $ for 3 years
Old 11-06-2015, 04:22 AM

I wouldn't personally unless the plan is a replacement plan, but I don't think Walmart plans are. BTW, the Walmart protection plan isn't administered by Walmart. It's an independent company, so I don't think you would return the machine to Walmart.
Brother warranties their lower priced computerized machines for two years these days (except for the chassis which is still 25 years). If you pay by credit card, most cards extend the warranty an additional year, which would give you a 3 year warranty. If you do go ahead with the protection plan, you might want to check if you have to ship the machine to a service center at your expense. Many of them require the customer to pay for shipping the machine back. That would cost as much as the warranty.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

i totally agree with Belfrybat. i suggest keeping the original box and packing material and the receipt. I think Walmart is pretty good about taking things back. My 2 Walmart machines and one Costco machine haven't caused me a bit of difficulty over the years. They worked straight out of the box and the manuals are easy to navigate.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:41 AM

Thanks if Im reading it right, it includes shipping and it includes replacement or refund if necessary, still on the fence
Old 11-06-2015, 05:06 AM

Many years back I decided to become "self insured". I never buy additional warranties on new products. The likelihood of new items having a problem is so very low. I have not regretted my decision and have saved a ton of money.

Right now i can't think of one time I would have used a warranty.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:21 AM

no ots not necessary I have had my walmart brother over 4 years with no plan and no problems
Old 11-07-2015, 01:09 PM

I never buy an extended warranty on anything. Several years ago my refrigerator went on the fritz. I was several years old, if I had purchased an extended warranty I would have had to renew it several times. It was Kenmore, so I called Sears to schedule a repair. The earliest they could give me was 11 days out - on a refrigerator in August! I asked if having the plan would have made a difference - they said no. My next call was to a repairman out of the phone book (at 5 pm). He was out the following morning and fixed it for $169.00 - way less than all those plan renewals would have cost me. Lesson learned - never tie yourself to one repair service.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

My Brother SQ9000 is 5 1/2 years old and has NEVER had to go to the shop. I do not think you really need it.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:41 PM

Thanks I just wanted to be sure it wasn't necessary
Old 11-08-2015, 04:53 AM

Default New machine?

My husband and I have never gotten an extended warranty on anything we have bought. We've been lucky and never had a problem with any major purchase. If an appliance or whatever is a lemon, the problem will usually show up during the normal warranty period and be taken care of at that time. Maybe we have just been lucky but that has been our experience thru 50 years. Lots of money saved by not paying for an extended warranty. Like hubby has said to a pushy salesperson - if it's a good product an extended warranty shouldn't be needed. Do what makes you comfortable.