Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What mistakes (design changes) do you leave as is and which do you change? >

What mistakes (design changes) do you leave as is and which do you change?

What mistakes (design changes) do you leave as is and which do you change?

Old 11-07-2015, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

Default What mistakes (design changes) do you leave as is and which do you change?

How/When do you decide to leave a mistake (unintentional design change?) or to change/fix it?

Also, is there a point in the process where you say "Oh, well - finished is better than perfect."?
Old 11-07-2015, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

As long as it doesn't change it too much and if it's small, I'm going to keep moving forward.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:03 AM

I only fix it if it bugs me. Some mistakes like chopped off points don't bother me. But is a piece is totally turned, I can't stand it. One time I didn't see a mistake till after it was totally finished and completed. Rather than disassemble or leave it. I made another component of the block, fused it over the mistake and requilted it. It was a hanger so it doesn't show at all and my mind is at rest.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:10 AM

When my seams nest I'm happy. When they don't, I promise to do better next time.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

I fix any mistakes in a top. I even take a picture because sometimes it helps spot an error. Once a quilt is quilted, move on to the next quilt.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:47 AM

my seams have to nest, my points must be correct ..if not, i re-do until everything is correct. i have been known to hand finish points to make them look right. i use a lot of vintage fabrics & i've found that the variations in weights of fabrics can seriously interfere w small details in block construction. i also examine completed top while hanging on design wall & check for possible errors such as bock turned wrong way or a patch incorrectly placed w/in a block. i'm in no hurry, i quilt for the simple happiness i derive from this hobby, but it must finish to the same standards i employ in all things i repair, install, create or build. it's how i am.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:54 AM

I agree with roguequilter. All that time and money must show a complete, as perfect as I can, project. If not, PHD - Project Half Done - need I say, I have a few of those!!!!
Old 11-07-2015, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I only fix it if it bugs me. Some mistakes like chopped off points don't bother me. But is a piece is totally turned, I can't stand it. One time I didn't see a mistake till after it was totally finished and completed. Rather than disassemble or leave it. I made another component of the block, fused it over the mistake and requilted it. It was a hanger so it doesn't show at all and my mind is at rest.
This is me as well. However, one quilt - as I was hand quilting, noticed a star component was wrong. Fortunately was at a point where I was able to disassemble, fix, and continue on. Another I didn't notice until looking at the photo after being gifted. That one - oh well.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:47 AM

I just recently finished quilting a lap size quilt and when I was getting down to the end on the border I realized I'd goofed up on the last one on the side where it meets up with the bottom border. Decided to leave it as I doubt anyone would really notice an extra line stitched. I corrected the digitized pattern for the twin lap quilt though.

I feel if its not that noticeable and if I don't mention it, no one will notice either. Of course I'm lucky enough that my recipents have no knowledge on what's what with quilts too.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:28 AM

I take the top to my quilting buddies( aka the quilt police). If they can't find it,I just don't fix it. After being a stressed out,hard core perfectionist in my work; now I'm retired,I try to lighten up some.