Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New machine >

New machine

New machine

Old 06-03-2016, 04:24 AM
JAK

Cool New machine

I am in the process of buying a used Janome Memory Craft 4800. Interested to know if anyone on here has one and any feedback.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

Have you tested out the machine yet??
Old 06-03-2016, 05:16 AM
JAK

No I have not. This is sounding like I may not like it for some reason
Old 06-05-2016, 06:15 PM

I just found your post. I have had a 4800 for almost 20 years and it has been wonderful. I have had it serviced occasionally, but have had no trouble with it. The automatic needle threader was out of adjustment when it was brand new and I never used it, so I don't know whether it could have been adjusted. I love the machine. But unless I were getting it from a dealer, I would want to have it checked out by a dealer just like you would do a used car.
Peace and grace, FroggyinTexas
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
I am in the process of buying a used Janome Memory Craft 4800. Interested to know if anyone on here has one and any feedback.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:28 PM

I have had a Janome 4800 for about 13 years. I have not had any problems with it. The only thing I will say is that, like many other sewing machines, it doesn’t care for bulky seams (though I always managed, have made several purses/totes on it). I have pieced many quilts on it, and have used it for Free Motion Quilting. It has been a good machine. It is now my back up machine as I recently bought a used Elna 740 (was after that 11 inches of harp space for free motion quilting).
Old 06-06-2016, 05:33 PM

I also have had one for 20 years bought 2nd hand from a dealer. Nice machine ... Be sure to find instructions for oiling etc. not in the manual... Got a lecture from SMG about keeping it cleaned and oiled after a massive sewing marathon. Be sure to play with all the stitches and attachments when you get it. Very versatile machine
Old 06-11-2016, 10:37 AM
JAK

Thank you so much for sharing. I am buying it from someone I know so I know it is okay. Will check about oiling and cleaning though.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:38 AM
JAK

I don't do much with really bulky other than binding. I have not as of yet attempted FMQ. I so appreciate your feedback. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2016, 10:40 AM
JAK

Thanks so much for your reply. It arrives on Tuesday and I can't wait to try it.