Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Marking Spray for Quilts >

New Marking Spray for Quilts

New Marking Spray for Quilts

Old 07-03-2015, 05:03 AM

I've been using Fixion pens with success, but someone suggested to me that the markings could reveal themselves if the fabric was exposed to very cold temperatures, for example, on a stroller quilt in the winter. Has anyone experienced that?
Old 07-03-2015, 05:18 AM

I've not used the spray, but so many stencils I use, I shift them a bit as I mark because I need to "stretch" or "shrink" them to fit the space I need them to go into. Spray would not work for me.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:15 AM

I tried the spray and it made a mess. It gets under the stencils and smears into a mess.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:38 AM

Frixion pen marks do reappear when the fabric gets very cold. I tried it! I used to love those pens and then it occurred to me - when do people use a quilt? When it's cold. I think a quilt that was left in the car, in the winter, in Iowa, would get cold enough to have the lines reappear.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by luana View Post
Frixion pen marks do reappear when the fabric gets very cold. I tried it! I used to love those pens and then it occurred to me - when do people use a quilt? When it's cold. I think a quilt that was left in the car, in the winter, in Iowa, would get cold enough to have the lines reappear.
if you wash the quilt with synthrapol the marks don't return. there have been threads about frixion pens previously
Old 07-03-2015, 02:14 PM

I had a friend who made a baby quilt and used Frixion pens to mark it. Had it in the trunk of her car on the way to a baby shower and when she got there all her marks reappeared. This is in Michigan in the winter!!!
Old 07-04-2015, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I didn't care for the pounce chalk so I am not sure I would like a spray. I assume that with Annie's selling it, they have tested it out for it's efficiency.
I didn't have the best experience with pounce either, but just bought a few of their "Full Line Stencils", which are actually made of a very fine mesh. They make a very clean, bold line, and if they get wrinkled or bent you iron them flat again. I'm a believer!
Old 07-04-2015, 05:24 AM

I like the idea of washable crayola markers. Thanks for the good tip.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:03 AM

I LOVE the washable markers.. use them all of the time.. but sometimes I just wish there were a faster way to mark. I guess I don't have much patience
Old 07-04-2015, 08:53 AM

I like the crayola markers and have never had them not wash out completely. I have used pounce when I didn't need to make much adjustment in the motifs. When that happens I trace off a few motifs and make whatever adjustments I need and insert them among the stencil repeats. I quilt over the paper inserts and tear away. Works for me. I am afraid of frixion pens. Too many negative comments for me.