Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New (for me) Wedding quilt pattern

Blog Entries

New (for me) Wedding quilt pattern

Did anyone see the episode of Fons & Porter yesterday on "Emily's Wedding Quilt"?
    It looks so detailed but is only two blocks, one of which is really a simple one. You use 2 size strips, one 3.5" and one 2". I was amazed at how this came together. I got to try this one day soon! Or at least put the picture in my "gotta do one day stack"!
    https://www.shopfonsandporter.com/pr...ttern/patterns

When you see this hanging on the wall, you can see the circles so much better.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-20-2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: remove copyright image
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

Oh this is really pretty! Will have to look it up. Thanks for sharing or I wouldn't have known about it.

Amazing how the straight lines transform into what looks like circles.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That would look really pretty made up with my 30's prints!

Its a nice take on a tennessee waltz. I have this pattern on my bucket list The TW just uses a snowball block instead of a shoefly with the HST.
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I saw the show too, and thinking the same as you. And I have the issue. It is going to be my next project too. Maybe pick up some fabric and start to get ready for a winter project.

Isn't that a fascinating pattern! I didn't see the show, but I bought the magazine for this pattern and ordered the Tri-Recs tool. I got side tracked and started cutting for a hex quilt, but this one is still in my mind.

Blog Entries
    That episode aired here today, and I enjoyed that very much. I remember a show they did with just the more complicated block (54 50 fight) and that was spectacular too (that show was from several yrs. ago, as I remember.)
    Mavis

I have actually made three of these. they are extreamly easy but look so hard and awesome.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

I saw the show also. I agree the quilt was beautiful. I am thinking I might like to try it someday.

There is actually a free pattern for a quilt here called Aunt Gracie's Garden that is the same as Emily's Wedding Quilt except that the appliqued border is different. Mid way down the page you will see the word "Bonus" with a PDF download with all instructions.

I love that pattern! Love the fabric choices as well!
    Karen in Kentucky

I watched the show too and loved that quilt. It's on my 'bucket list'!
    Sew many Quilts.......so little time!

I saw the show as well and that quilt was stunning! I loved the secondary ring pattern the blocks made. Shoo Fly is very easy but the 54-40 or Die really isn't. I don't normally purchase rulers that can only be used in certain circumstances. I speed piece all my HST so I've not ever needed a special ruler for those and I prefer to sew on the bias before cutting, but I dont' think those weird Isosiles triangle things can be pieced that way. I'm seriously considering purchasing those triangle rulers. I really love that pattern and put it on my to do list. I've never seen any rulers that aren't F&P rulers promoted on the show before.
    Proud mom/step-mom to 8 children. We promote awareness of Autism and Huntington's Disease. Please pm me if interested in sending Campbell's Soup Labels or box tops which we collect for our kids' schools.

The 54-40 or Fight blocks always frustrate me, because I always seem to sew the side triangles on wrong on half the blocks, no matter how carefully I place the pieces before I sew.

Mpeters, you can chain piece the blocks, but be very careful. It is an easy block to cut if you have the Tri-Recs rulers, and you can also use the Tri-Recs rulers to cut diamonds.

I'm very tempted to purchase those rulers. I wonder if I can get them together in one package and use my 40% off coupon. I need another shopping trip like a do a hole in my head, but I really would love to make this quilt. I have a lot of CW repros ready for 4 patching. The hardest part would be those isosiles triangle thingys.
    Proud mom/step-mom to 8 children. We promote awareness of Autism and Huntington's Disease. Please pm me if interested in sending Campbell's Soup Labels or box tops which we collect for our kids' schools.

It is pretty. Looks like Faceted jewels only simplified a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Creations-Face.../dp/B004KYZSRM

Too funny I saw that episode Saturday too and went to look for the pattern today. I am pretty sure I didnt buy that magazine issue so I have my best friend looking for it for me I have tons of 30's fabric as I am addicted to it. This I will work on this pattern this fall! Love it!!!

CWESSLEY if you go through both pages of responses, a link to the free pattern at Fons & Porter's site is posted. That's how I got my copy!

I don't have any 30's but I think it would do great with CW repros! I have already cut some smaller strips to make the 9 patches with. Now to get some tri-tecs tools.

That is on my list of quilts I want to make some day......
    Proud Mother of Sarah Grey
    Grey's Fabric and Notions
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/greysfabric?ref=seller_info

SSK
    Quote Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
    There is actually a free pattern for a quilt here called Aunt Gracie's Garden that is the same as Emily's Wedding Quilt except that the appliqued border is different. Mid way down the page you will see the word "Bonus" with a PDF download with all instructions.

Thank you so much, I just made a copy, now picking out my fat quarters from my stash. Going to put it all together for a new winter project. Love It!

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Go to http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...40_quilt_block and download free instructions for 54/40 or fight and shoo fly blocks and basically the same quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
    I have actually made three of these. they are extreamly easy but look so hard and awesome.
    I am glad to know it was an easy pattern. I have soooo much 'stash' to use up, but I keep choosing 'hard, labor intensive quilts.' so glad Emily's wedding quilt Is easy, because it is the very next quilt I am going to make.