Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New member who desperately needs help!

I am not much help either, but do own a Janome and love it. Welcome to the board.

I know nothing about either machine but a great big welcome from the HAWKEYE state IOWA Good luck and Happy Quilting Lavada

A big welcome from Mid-Missouri USA, Sorry I can't help you with the machines.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

I have the Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 and love it! I have been sewing on Pfaff sewing machines for close to thirty years and there's no way you can go wrong with a Pfaff machine, especially one of that calibre. You could also go for a second hand Pfaff, just be sure that you get one with the IDT as it is really one of their best features. Can't help you out on the Janomes because I have never owned one.

Welcome from Michigan! I just have Babylocks so can't help with the decision, but I do have friends who love their Janomes.

Have a wonderful day in beautiful Milano

Quote Originally Posted by Loesalexandra View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm a new member to this forum, dutch by nationality but living in Italy where quilting is not very widespread as a hobby (therapy?) and so it's very hard to come across reliable info. I am a beginner (so far I made 8 quilts, mostly handquilting them as my singer cannot deal with bulk) about to buy a new machine and I also do some garment sewing for my one year old from time to time. I was evaluating the Janome 4120 QDC and the MC 5200. Although the latter is no longer being distributed in Italy and I can't seem to find out why. They did tell me however that they could find one for me if needed. I cannot test the machines as we have exactly 1 dealer where I live, who can order me a Janome but does not have them in store :-( They did mention the Pfaff quilt expression 4.0, but again, no way to test it. Did anyone ever test these machines or own one or more of them? Any help to point me in the right direction is welcome!!
    Welcome to our world of quilters, I have a Singer Quat. L500, love it for all my sewing. Good luck choicing your new machine.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Welcome from Missouri, USA. Pfaff's for sewing garments and piecing are wonderful machines. I've been using the 7550 for the last 20 years. I hear the newer Pfaff's are not as well made as the older models. If you buy a computerized machines will you be able to get service where you live? I am looking at the Juki TL2012QI to try my hand at FMQ. I don't want to ruin my Pfaff trying to do a lot of quilting on it. The Juki's have a larger harp to handle doing large quilts. But they are straight stitch only machines. The Juki's are highly recommended by some of the books I am studying on FMQ. They are mechanical all medal machines but I've not been able to see one in person yet. One dealer in Springfield, MO will be handling them but don't have any in stock right now. Personally I would consider one machine for your garment sewing and one for quilting. Also a hint passed on by Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville is to use 3M repositional restickable strips to create a 1/4 in sewing guide for piecing. She says they don't leave a residue and will not harm computerized machines. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I absolutely love my Quilt Expression! I've never sewn on a Janome so can't talk about it, but the Quilt Expression is the best investment I ever made. Actually it's the second one - the second Pfaff that is. I went through a lot of cheap machines before I invested in Pfaff, and I tried most of the others before I bought the Quilt Expression. This is one place where you definitely get what you pay for. Great quality in addition to great features. I have a Brother machine which has many of the same features, but isn't anywhere near the quality of the Pfaff. I only use the Brother for quick mending jobs when the Pfaff is tied up on a project.
    Shirley in Arizona

I would buy the Pfaff in a heartbeat. Have used them for years and they are workhorses that go over multiple seams without a pause. First company to have the built-in top feeddogs. This is a gizmo that slips into the back of most of the feet that keeps the top fabric layer feeding at the same speed as the bottom. Makes a huge difference. And best of all, you're not aware it is in place so it doesn't interfere with visibility.
    SandyQuilter

I can't really help you with the machines, but a great big welcome from the North Central part of the Sunshine State!

Good luck with the machine.

Jeanette Frantz

Blog Entries
    I have owned a Janome 10000 for over 10 years, and I love it, I have never tried the 4120 QDC. Overall, I think the Janome's are quiet and have less vibration then most of the others, but I think that you need to test drive the machine you buy, and also test drive the new machine in the store where you purchase it before you bring it home.
    I want to welcome you to QB, you will find that all stages of quilters are open to share their ideas, suggestions and humor. Welcome to QB.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Power Poster
    Welcome from Wisconsin. Good luck with your quilting and have fun.

Blog Entries
    My machines are BERNINA 1630 and SINGER 301A, which I love.....so cannot advise on other sewing machines but as someone else mentioned you are really going to need the additional throat plate (one hole rather than zig-zag/embroidery slot) if you are sewing clothing for your daughter....and then there are bound to be doll clothes to sew also.....so much fun........you have a great time ahead of you, so glad you are on this quilting board...give a hug to your little girl from all of us.........she will someday soon want to sew also

Welcome! Let us know what you decide? I hope you'll stay around the board, it would be lovely hearing from you!
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

i bought my Pfaff Quilt Expression 4 in Germany 4 years ago. i love it. The harp ( space between needle and the body of the machine is big enough to do machine quilting on. i did a double bed size quilt on it without a lot of trouble. For me, the deciding factor was that, at that time, the Quilt 4's sold in Europe were still manufactured in Europe. i don't have problems with the quilting foot. Has plenty of nice stitches on it for decorative work on garments which is fun when doing small child clothes. button hole settings are ample and work nicely once you figure out the instructions.

I like all things Janome, but I have never used the particular machine you mentioned. Google the machines and get evalutations from lots of different sources. And welcome to the board from Texas, 60 miles north of Dallas and 30 miles south of Durant, Oklahoma. froggyintexas

Blog Entries
    I have the Janome 6600 and it is a wonderful machine. Has many bells and whistles, and the accused system is great for piecing. There is a users group for Janome 6500 and 6600 owners that will give you a lot of advice and info . Members ask questions, give advice etc. here is the link if you are interested. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Janome6500/

Blog Entries
    I have the 4120 and really enjoy it. I have made 2 full size quilts and working on #3. It has a lot of extras that my old Singer did not have. I'm taking a class to see what all the machine can do. If I already had had this, I could give you more info about the workings.

Whatever your decision, please keep in mind that Pfaff only keeps replacement parts for machines that are under warranty. Once the warranty runs out they no longer make replacement parts! =( Yes, I learned the hard way...love my Pfaff, but cannot get it repaired!
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

Quote Originally Posted by jeemmerling621 View Post
    I have the 4120 QDC and the Quilt Expression 4.0 and both have great features. The 4120 QDC is for traveling to classes, retreats, etc. and I use the Quilt Expression at home.

The 4120 is lightweight, portable, and user friendly. It sews smoothly without the machine jumping because of the speed. The thread cutter, needle up-down is nice too. The only short-fall is that the harp space is a little small compared to the Quilt Expression.

The Quilt Expression is absolutely wonderful. I just purchased mine about a month ago, and have had no problems. I got mine used, and I couldn't be happier. It was a bit of a learning curve going from a Janome MC 6300 to the Pfaff, but man are those features nice. The thread cutter, needle up-down are standard for this machine, but I especially like the automatic foot raiser for pivoting on corners and after the thread cutter is enabled. The only thing I don't like is that the guide for the 1/4 inch foot is silver, which reflects the fabric I'm sewing and makes it a little difficult to see how accurate I am in my piecing, whereas the Janome 1/4 inch foot has a black guide on the right side.
    I have a Janome 10001. I had a hard time seeing the black part on the 1/4" foot, so I put some bright orange nail polish on it. I seldom sew orange fabric, so this has worked out for me and I have no problem seeing it now!!!

Blog Entries
    Hi, and welcome from Arizona! I have not sewn on either of the machines you mentioned. Here are 2 things I would suggest: first, get a machine that a local shop owner will stand behind and help you with. You will need servicing and/or machine mastery classes. It's definitely worth the extra money to have a good technician available to you. Second, Bernina is made in Switzerland and sold all over the world. Yes, I know they are expensive, but if you buy the right machine it will most likely last you for the rest of your life. Berninas can be fixed and keep on going. Also, look into "previously loved" Berninas. That will save you money so you can move up to a higher price point machine. Good luck!
    Create with joy in your heart!

Why couldn't you use a black marker and "fix" that foot? It would come off if you don't care for the fix! Linda

Since you have no way of trying out a machine and only 1 dealer in the area, I think your best bet is to online with several manufacturers (i.e. Brother, Janome, Pfaff, etc.). They can provide all the statistics, prices, sizes, models, and what they can do. Any brand you want can be shipped directly to you at the manufacturers cost. They also offer helpful internet assistance. Your local man is the one and only service you have and will probably jack the price up considerably if you order through him. One drawback is that if you need it serviced your local guy may not be too happy to assist you and you may need to send machine out for repairs.
    Last edited by Marilyn Philips; 06-07-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: I forgot to include the quote
    Millie

I have never used either of those models, but I have owned several Janome machines and I love them all. I currently own 3 Janomes and the stitch on them can't be beat.

Blog Entries
    This is quite long but may help you as it seem to cover all brands, hence the link name.
    I hope this may help you. Welcome to the board from Australia.

www.evidently.org/2007/02/too-much-information

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast