Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New method of free-motion quilting? >

New method of free-motion quilting?

New method of free-motion quilting?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 AM

You are a genius! What a great idea. If a person has arthritis issues etc, the way you have suggested for doing FMQ is a life saver. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chay
Another idea instead of gloves is to use squares of the rubbery stuff that you use for shelf liner, the kind that is perforated. You can use it to grip the fabric and don't have to take your gloves off and on every time you want to thread the needle, load a bobbin, etc.
Now that is also something that has been bothering me, having to take gloves on/off all the time. Thanks for that tip!

I love this place here, why didn't I join much sooner?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:20 AM

Thank you Newbie and Hawghugger for the idea and pictures. I have been intimidated by machine quilting for a while. I just made 7 table runners for 7 cousins and I am going to try to MQ in this way. It looks like it would be great. And I'm glad about the pictures because I couldn't imagine it. Mind just doesn't work that way. What are some other frames one might use? I don't have a very big space like some of you and couldn't accomodate a large frame unless I appropriate the dining room table and we eat standing up from now on. LOL
Old 04-05-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
nope, no reason to not do it. Also spend $6 and get some machine quilting gloves. Believvvveeee me they are worth $1000.
Yep, yep, yep!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 AM

I'm going to give this a try . All I've been making is baby quilts and table runners.But I do want to try a larger size quilt.I have really had a hard time with free motion quilting it make my hands really hurt ,I think maybe because of the carple tunnel but not sure :roll:
Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Suz

CountryMaiden,
I had my right foot in a cast for 18 weeks last year (two bones first break - 6 wks, didn't heal - 6 wks; broke another bone - 6 weeks; all stress fractures). I learned to sew with my left foot. Now that the cast is off, I still sew with the left foot. Give it a try. It is easier than one might think. Suz

NOTE to you gals: Take your calcium.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Suz

I surround myself with cheap ironing boards which I picked up at the local Goodwill for $3.99 each. I don't even change the covers as long as they appear clean. When not supporting a quilt, I use one along my left side to hold piles of pieces and then I feed from them. Easily stored.

Suz
Old 04-05-2010, 12:40 PM

Thanks, I'm going to try this. FMQ scares me and I have been piecing for years. I send out the large ones and do a cross hatch on the small ones. I think that I just need to take the time to practice, but I always seems to be trying to beat a deadline.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chay
Another idea instead of gloves is to use squares of the rubbery stuff that you use for shelf liner, the kind that is perforated. You can use it to grip the fabric and don't have to take your gloves off and on every time you want to thread the needle, load a bobbin, etc.
Now why didn't I think of that? Thanks! :thumbup:
Old 04-05-2010, 01:43 PM

I saw that method on You Tube I tried it once it worked really good Good thing you reminded me of that method. Jeannie