Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New and in need of advice! >

New and in need of advice!

New and in need of advice!

Old 05-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chrissy in Nisky
Wow! Thank you all so much for your quick responses! My husband said the same thing about taking the machine back to be re-serviced; I know I should, but I feel like I'm causing trouble...

As for choosing a new machine, I'm probably not any less overwhelmed. The local JoAnn's has an independent Husqvarna-Viking dealer located inside of it, but I have not read many favorable reviews about the company's current entry level machines. There is also a local quilt shop that I haven't yet visited (my girldfriend who is teaching me warned me about all of the beautiful fabrics that i was going to fall in love w/and I thought maybe I shoud avoid it for a bit) but maybe I should head there too? Anybody have any thoughts?
If your service is still under warranty, TAKE IT BACK.

THEY are causing YOU trouble!!!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:08 AM

You know, we went to Sears, and I was really disappointed. They had several machines, but not one was plugged in, there wasn't a sales associate around, or those who were didn't "work in that department". It was very clear to me that they had no desire to sell me a machine. On the other hand, the woman at JoAnn's who, granted, is running her own business, took 20 minutes to walk me through 3 different machines at varying price points, and ofers free classes on how to use them! I'm torn because I haven't seen any recent reviews on her machines, only ones from a few years ago, that weren't spectacular...

BTW, my old machine is a Kenmore 158.1212180. Anybodu know anything about them?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

When I go to Sears and no help to be found, I take a machine off display and plug it in. I bring fabric and thread with me. No one bothered me at all. Lazy clerks didn't care. Several clerks came over from appliances to watch and ask me questions.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chrissy in Nisky
You know, we went to Sears, and I was really disappointed.
I had a similar experience at the now defunct Wards, and the sales guy (from a different department) tried to PUSH the thread from the bobbin through the throat plate. (A true head shaker) I have found that reputable machine dealers (often sew and vac combos) will have a variety of new and used machines. They should deal - I have gotten a discount on every machine I bought, and they should offer service and support. A small shop may not have the classes, but for a fee, one can take classes at a larger shop.

There are a lot of reviews available on the web AND it is very important to test drive the machine. I spend a lot of time on research before I commit.

Have fun with it.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:44 AM

I had an old machine and found that when either I failed to properly thread it or the thread came out of the channels, it would not operate properly, try rethreading it also.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:25 AM

Chrissy, Welcome to quilting and this board. This has been a wonderful place for me to get ideas, encouragement and inspiration. And often a good laugh when I need one.

I agree you should be able to go back to where the machine was serviced and have them fix it and show you some basics. I would wait to invest in a new machine until you have a couple projects under your belt. It is a big investment and you will have a better idea of what features that you want.

I still sew with a machine I won in a raffle in high school, over 30 years ago. I have only done straight line machine quilting patterns on it so far. I just invested in a Singer Featherweight (antique) sewing machine to take to classes. It is wonderful.

So you don't have to spend a lot of money on a machine to get into quilting. My 0.02.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:16 PM

Go to your local quilt shops and check out themachines. Janome is a great machine and you can buy a very good one for under $500. It will serve you well. They are allmost trouble free. I have 3 of them and never had a problem. But get your machine (whatever you decide) from a dealer who will back up what they sell. Marge