Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NEW/OLD FOLDING  FABRIC WITH RULER >

NEW/OLD FOLDING FABRIC WITH RULER

NEW/OLD FOLDING FABRIC WITH RULER

Old 07-24-2010, 03:17 AM

Pretty cool - Thanks!
Old 07-24-2010, 03:31 AM

Now why didn't I think of doing that??? My granddaughters are coming to stay with me overnight Sunday and all day Monday. They are 5 & 9. Now I have something for the 5 year old to do when she gets bored while the 9 and I are sewing. I have the 9 using the embroidery machine now. Soon she will combine it with quilting. I have so much fabric to be re-folded. I could never think how to get a uniform size to the fabric when they were different lengths. DUH!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

Oh your fabric looks so nice and neat. Want to come over and organize mine too. :-D
Old 07-24-2010, 07:25 PM

This is the suggestion that I was trying to make earlier to possibly save a little money instead of buying those card board things. I have done this for the past three years when my dear friend showed me how. She would also use the large ruler if you needed to pull out something in the middle of the stick by sliding the ruler above the fabric you want and then lifting the stack up enough for you to pull your fabric out neatly. Once you get your fabrics set up for the most part, then whenever you bring own the fabrics that kinda grabbed at you when you walked within a mile of the fabric shop somewhere, it's an immediate thing to fold the fabric instantly and putting it away. I lost three days while a friend and I started from scratch for the stacked fabrics, but it was soooo worth it. I am really glad to see the video as it makes it so much easier to explain.

hugs, Blue
Old 07-25-2010, 04:18 AM

After I watched that video I just had to try it. I have 7 file drawers crammed full of my quilting fabrics; each one a specific color. So yesterday I refolded 4 of the drawers. Now there is almost room for more fabric. Couldn't believe how much room it saves. Now all I have to do is figure out where to put all the fabric that isn't in the file drawers; fabric that I am not sure what color or category to put it in.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by peterparley
PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW TO FOLD THE FABRIC USING A RULER LOOKS GREAT IN SOME OF THE PICTURES THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP YOU LADIES AND GENTLMEN PROVIDE PETERPARLEY
Follow this link to a tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkTlaMqRlwo
THANK YOU for sharing this!!! I definately NEED to use this method to get my ENORMOUS stash under control. Who knows, I might even find room to put MORE fabric!! LOL
Old 07-25-2010, 05:34 AM

That is a idea for me when I go to the basement to do a wash just fold fabric down there.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 AM

Trust me... now that you have the hang of it, you will find space and you will also see space that is now available for more fabric.

hugs,
Blue
Old 07-25-2010, 07:46 AM

I am refolding today :)
Old 07-25-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by bluestarmom
Trust me... now that you have the hang of it, you will find space and you will also see space that is now available for more fabric.

hugs,
Blue
Hi Bluestarmom. After watching that video that makes want to to go throw all my fabric out on the floor and make space.
I'll admit I've gotten lazy and just throw my fabric in my color coordinated totes. Atleast they are color coordinated I guess.
Some of the lids won't close so I'm sure they would close after doing that. I'll have to pick a day beings that will take me from sun up to sun down.
Thanks for the tutorial