Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Orleans - Here I come!!!! - Anyone from NOLA that can help me out? >

New Orleans - Here I come!!!! - Anyone from NOLA that can help me out?

New Orleans - Here I come!!!! - Anyone from NOLA that can help me out?

Old 01-27-2015, 04:51 AM

Default New Orleans - Here I come!!!! - Anyone from NOLA that can help me out?

I'm so excited. I just booked my trip last night to New Orleans. I'm in Ottawa, so even if it's only 15 degrees, it's much nicer there than it is here (-19) ... and there's no snow!!!!

I'm leaving on Thursday evening, Feb 19 and coming home Monday, Feb 23 late late late at night!

So ... quilt stores!

I've been on line and found these ones:

In New Orleans: Mes Amies Quilt Shop and the Quilted Owl.
In Baton Rouge: Amelia's Quilt Shop, Fabric Krazy Quilt Shop, Red Stick Quilt Shop and the Quilt Corner
In Lafayette: The Borne Quilter

I'm planning on renting a car for a day and going to at least 4 or 5 of them. The two in New Orleans are easy peasy, but I'm hoping someone can give me some input on which ones in Baton Rouge I should got to, and is the one in Lafayette worth the drive.

I don't mind driving at all, it's one of my favourite ways to see a place that I am visiting.

Other things I am doing: swamp day and a plantation tour, haunted walk in a cemetary (or two or three), visiting the Aubudon Zoo, walking around the neighbourhoods (French Quarter, Garden Center, etc.), maybe get a spiritual reading - if anyone knows of a great place for this, feel free to let me know! And of course I have to have beignets and chicory coffee!!!

I love nature and seeing the "real" stuff about a place I am visiting, so if any natives have any info they want to pass on, don't hesitate!!!!

Thanks so much!

Marion
Old 01-27-2015, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

Lucky you!! I always wanted to stop and visit New Orleans being such a unique American city. Had planned to go to to Quilt Market in Houston and make a side tour. Have fun !!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:21 AM

allstitchedupbyangela.com Slidell la { all stitched up by angela}

have not been to their shop there but met them at a quilt show in bham. Love the quality and them. I now order on line from them. they usually get their orders out the same day you call or e mail.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
I'm so excited. I just booked my trip last night to New Orleans. I'm in Ottawa, so even if it's only 15 degrees, it's much nicer there than it is here (-19) ... and there's no snow!!!!

I'm leaving on Thursday evening, Feb 19 and coming home Monday, Feb 23 late late late at night!

So ... quilt stores!

I've been on line and found these ones:

In New Orleans: Mes Amies Quilt Shop and the Quilted Owl.
In Baton Rouge: Amelia's Quilt Shop, Fabric Krazy Quilt Shop, Red Stick Quilt Shop and the Quilt Corner
In Lafayette: The Borne Quilter

I'm planning on renting a car for a day and going to at least 4 or 5 of them. The two in New Orleans are easy peasy, but I'm hoping someone can give me some input on which ones in Baton Rouge I should got to, and is the one in Lafayette worth the drive.

I don't mind driving at all, it's one of my favourite ways to see a place that I am visiting.

Other things I am doing: swamp day and a plantation tour, haunted walk in a cemetary (or two or three), visiting the Aubudon Zoo, walking around the neighbourhoods (French Quarter, Garden Center, etc.), maybe get a spiritual reading - if anyone knows of a great place for this, feel free to let me know! And of course I have to have beignets and chicory coffee!!!

I love nature and seeing the "real" stuff about a place I am visiting, so if any natives have any info they want to pass on, don't hesitate!!!!

Thanks so much!

Marion
Congratulations! I am in Baton Rouge and Amelia now lives in Washington State. Her shop is closed. Borne Quilter closed recently. Fabric Krazy has some very limited hours. Check with them first. Red Stick Quilt Shop is on Stumburg Lane. It moved from its original location on Industriplex. It is very nice. I will try and find out all the open ones and PM you with that info. Maybe we can meet up at the Red Stick if you are interested and our schedules work out.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:43 AM

Fabric Krazy & Amelia's quilt shop are closed. The Bourne Quilter in Lafayette is in the process of going out of business and may be closed. Mama's outside of Independence is still open. They specialize in Civil War fabrics.

Not all of the quilt shops listed here are still in business http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...ilt-shops.html I would make an attempt to contact them & get a good address before you start driving.

The Quilting Niche in Houma is open and always has things going on. I have heard good things about Bright Hopes in Mandeville, but haven't been there. Cottage Creations is a neat quilt shop.

The weather in Louisiana is very fickle. Even though there isn't snow on the ground doesn't mean it isn't chilly. Our average humidity is anywhere from 60% to 100%. We don't get snow that much, but it does rain a lot from time to time. I hope you will be here for Mardi Gras. That is one big party. The French Quarter has a lot of little shops that are really neat and a visit to Café du Monde for beignets & coffee is a must. Have a great time!!!!!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:45 AM

I go to mes amies every time I am near NO. My SO has family on the north side of the lake. It is a great shop, small building but packed full and the owner and staff so helpful. Don't forget to check Mississippi, only couple hours to the border. There is a quilt shop in Oceans Springs and one called block therapy closer to AL. Have a great trip! Also not been a cold winter here in the south so daytime temps should be in the 50's or so.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:46 AM

Hello Marion! Just to let you know, a couple days ago the rules on visiting the cemetary #1 have changed. You must now have a tour guide to take you through it. Don't forget about the World War II museum and the aquarium of the Americas. There is also the Museum of Fine Arts and gardens in City Park. Above all think safety. If you like antiquing there's Magazine Street. The Northshore is closer than Lafayette and offers two very good shops. Bright Hopes quilting in Mandeville and Sew This in Abita Springs. It'll take crossing a 26 mile bridge with a $3 toll. I could go on and on so you are welcome to pm me and put any questions you may have to me and I'll try and help.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:30 AM

Thanks so much for all the input!!!! This is awesome!

Sweet - no worries, while I'm not a fraidy cat, I have ZERO intention of getting lost in a cemetary at night LOL I get lost coming out a paper bag, can just imagine a cemetary (I would provide vast amounts of entertainment for everyone else as they see me wander by again and again and again ... as I so nonchalantly pretend I am not lost!)

My idea is that if it rains on Friday, I rent a car and go all over the place ... and then Sat / Sun do the walking, swamp tour, etc. I don't really care if it rains the whole time, it's better than snow, and I can probably still wear light pants and a shirt and feel warmer than the natives LOL
Old 01-27-2015, 01:21 PM

Make your reservation ahead of time for Preservation Hall and New Orleans Cooking School. Also don't miss Mardi Gras World. Very interesting tour.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:37 PM

Thank you Maureen NJ ... I will definitely look into that ... I'm not going during Mardi Gras (way too crowded for me then!) but if there is a tour that is after Mardi Gras I will look into that as well.

Thanks everyone for all the input! Greatly appreciated