Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Pfaff Performance 5.0!!! >

New Pfaff Performance 5.0!!!

New Pfaff Performance 5.0!!!

Old 06-24-2014, 05:21 PM

Default New Pfaff Performance 5.0!!!

After research and decisions, mostly between the Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 and the Pfaff Performance 5.0, I bought my new Performance 5.0 tonight! I'm excited to have a new machine with all the new bells and whistles since I bought my last new machine (also a Pfaff) over 20 years ago.

Here's my question. My quilt store provides new owners with two classes, three hours each, plus all the questions and individual help you need as well. My summer is going to be really busy (couple of trips, plus getting my son ready for college). I'm thinking of putting off the classes until September. I figure by then I will have had time to play with the machine and be a bit familiar with things. I have a small project planned to make placemats and that seems like a perfect thing for the first project on the new machine. Do you think it would be better to do the classes soon when I know almost nothing about the machine, or wait a couple of months when I have the basics down and can learn more about the bells and whistles?
Old 06-24-2014, 05:51 PM

I would do the classes right away before you develop any "habits," good or bad. Sort of start with a clean slate. JMO

DARREN
Old 06-24-2014, 06:25 PM

I got my Performance 5 a year ago. I was told to go home and play with it for 2 weeks before my first class. My class dealt with its features and the second covered what the available feet could do. I love my machine.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:34 AM

If you read the manual then try a few things on you own, I'll bet your list of questions to ask at class will be longer!! And maybe more pertinent!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:38 AM

I am really mixed about this - if you are comfortable enough to get started and do a few things on your own I say wait. I find that if I have at least tried to do the basics before class that I get a lot more out of it. I would rather someone spent 15 min with me working on my 1/4 in than in learning who to plug in and turn on the machine.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:54 PM

Do you mind me asking how much you were quoted/paid for the Performance 5.0 - and if that was with or without a trade? My dealers price is $2499, but I've read somewhere someone paying only $1999. Curious what the going price is....
Old 07-19-2014, 01:37 AM

I'd play around with it so that I'd get more out of the lessons.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:05 AM

I purchased my Performance 5.0 a year ago at the end of May. At that time my local dealer had them priced at $2599 and was going to allow $500 trade in on my Creative 1475. I was able to sell the 1475 outright for $800 so had more down payment. I then took advantage of the 24 month 0% interest option. Additionally the purchase price included lessons, 2 years free service and a 10% discount on all purchases for 1 year.

My dealer recommended to use the machine some before taking classes so that you'd know what you'd need more info about. I took my classes a few months later in October. In the meantime I did watch this very helpful video from Village Sewing to get me started. I also had the advantage that I was using a Pfaff Performance 2058 at the time so the learning curve wasn't too steep.

I'm very happy with the machine and recommend it without hesitation. I've used it for piecing, free-motion quilting, simple clothing and mending. I haven't used the decorative stitches often but it's my goal to incorporate them in more projects in the future. My experience with my Creative 1475 and Performance 2058 (which I still have) gives me confidence that the 5.0's decorative stitches will turn out wonderfully.

(In case the link above doesn't work here it is separately https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8wlJAcMhiw)
Old 07-19-2014, 11:16 AM

I think you need to take the classes when they fit into your schedule so you can enjoy them with less stress and still have time to go home and practice what you learn. I find that when I take a class I need some alone time to reinforce what I've learned and write things down in my own words. That way too you'll know what additional questions you might have. If you are trying to fit the classes into a busy schedule now when you know you will have more time later I would wait.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:52 AM

If it were me, I would want to take the classes as soon as possible - that way you won't feel intimidated or scared to use it! My dealer offers unlimited usage classes, even though there really are only two actual classes (you can take them over and over again if nedded) - yours may do the same, and if so, you could take the classes now and then again in September in case you have any unanswered questions. Congratulations on your new machine!!!