Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Quilter and Frustrated >

New Quilter and Frustrated

New Quilter and Frustrated

Old 03-05-2010, 03:51 AM

If you just get bored with what you're doing in the middle of a quilt,I'm with MNQuilter. A sampler quilt with every block a differant pattern keeps you interested to see what each one will look like. If you 're finding the patterns to hard to sew, then pick something very simple. Or maybe you just need pointers on how to set your blocks together. First you need to decide what is making you quit a project before you get it finished.From there you can decide if you need an easier pattern or just something to hold yur interest.My first quilt was just a simple 9patch block because I could get it to match up the easiest.But I enjoyed my sampler quit because it held my interest.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:12 AM

I hope you got enough info from others to get you started on a project. With all your clothing construction background, you'll be doing well with your quilting! Detail orientation is a good thing in quilting. Starting small can also help - a pillowtop or wallhanging might get you started again...

Keep us posted on your progress. We would love to see pictures!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:51 AM

I, like you, have only been quilting a short while. My first project was a lap quilt in the rail fence pattern. I followed it easily, but note I did it in a Quilting 101 class. Raggy quilts are also an option. They are quick and easy no batting involved. Don't give up. Of the patterns you noted I think the second one would be easiest. Thanks for the patterns I printed them for my collection. :)
Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 AM

I would recommend the first pattern as there are not triangles or points to match. Be sure and check your blocks after each step such as adding the inner frame, next frame etc. to be sure that they all are the same. Take the smallest block and have all the others match that one.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
Do you know, the quilt I am most enjoying working on is a sampler. I used the BOM on here and did the Pioneer blocks. I'm finding that I'm not getting as frustrated or bored, for a couple of reasons. Reason 1: I'm only making one of each block! I don't need to stress about if they are all identical, are seams going to match, ect. Reason 2: I get to pick out blocks that I like, not that are too hard for me. Reason 3: Any blocks go on a sampler! You can pick a theme, like star blocks, PP, animals, and go with it or you can mix it up! As long as you have some tie in together (colors, ect), it should work! You can find a ton of blocks on quilters cache and they are organized by size (I like 12in, get more quilt with less blocks!) and rated by how easy or hard they are to make. Good luck and don't give up!
I agree with a sampler! You can learn new skills, pick the level you want to do and the blocks and border(s) will be in coordinating fabrics to bring them together. You can always go scrappy! Good luck!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I started sewing when I was about 12. I have made suits in Home Ec class (quite a few yrs ago - many many yrs), I went to college, got married, except for repairs have not sewn until about 1 yr ago when I took up quilting.

I have made 5 quilts -quilted w/SID - 2 from the same pattern I learned in the quilting class at Joann Fabric- have 3 UFO's and in the process of making the Red Herring quilt - PP - which could become my 4th UFO.

I love looking through quilting patterns on line, love reading quilting books, have a stash of fabric that could make probably 50 quilts (or more).

So my question is In order not to keep adding to my UFO stash, what type of quilt pattern should I be using to make my quilts.... is this pattern to difficult

http://www.eeschenck.com/i/0/pattern...Medallions.pdf

or would this one be better

http://www.eeschenck.com/i/0/pattern...ater_Quilt.pdf

or

http://www.eeschenck.com/i/qc_both/p..._Studio_02.pdf

or

http://www.eeschenck.com/i/qc_both/p...Sixteen_18.pdf - strip and fussy cut

OR
http://www.eeschenck.com/i/qc_both/p...Sixteen_20.pdf - PP

http://www.eeschenck.com/i/qc_both/p...Sixteen_21.pdf

Or can you suggest any other pattern that would be good to use - and help my self confidence
I haven't looked at all of these, but the first one is a winner. I have done this using the children's "cloth book" panels. I just cut up each "page" and use it in a block with sashing and cornerstones like in the pattern. This can also be used with novelty fabrics of a particular theme.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:54 AM

Hi,
I agree with the earlier comments about why you're losing steam in the middle of a project, thus creating UFOs

Have you seen the posting about the Newbie challenge? anyone interested can sign up to be a 'newbie' or a 'mom' willing to mentor - or, sign up for both, and work with several different people.

I've got 'twins - adopted daughters through the Quilt Board who I'll mentor with. wouldn't mind triplets if you're interested.
casamanana
(aka Vicky :P )
Old 03-06-2010, 12:20 PM

HI, I like the first two the best. But You have unfinshed tops. Are you going to hand quilt them or machine quilt them?? I am an old woman and I like TV. So I put my quilt in my lap and I hand quilt while I watch TV. The first two quilts you list are easy to hand quilt. It takes a while but not nearly as long as those last one that you have on there even though they are not full size quilt. Now IMHO Wickedly Easy and Wicked Easy are to hard to hand quilt. Too many little pieces to hand quilt around. Machine quilting is beautiful but again IMHO it makes my quilt too stiff. I like the softer feel of hand quilting. Now if I have big squares or triangles I will find a stencil and sew something in there to make sure the batting doesn't shift. Of course the batting these days doesn't shift like my Aunts batting could. I still have not found out if she used paper patterns in side her grandmother flower garden quilt. I use it a lot and I put it in the washing machine and so far the quilt and batting are holding up. She made this quilt in 1938-39.
She rheumatoid arthritis and she hand quilted every quilt she made which was 5 or 6 I believe. I only have two of them. The other is a Double Wedding Ring.
I made my first dress when I was 17. Got married when I was 21 and had 4 boys. Didn't sew much for them but when I started having granddaughters decided I make a quilt for each grandchild. Sons all said they had to have one, then daughters-in-law had to have one. Then husband had to have one and now great grandchildren have to have one. I can't die until I get all these quilts finished. I'm not like the Amish. I don't have to deliberately make a mistake. That happens anyway. So happy quilting.
Henriellen
Old 03-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Hello - I vote with BellaBoo's quilt suggestion. Very easy and quick pattern to use. I use it a lot for charity quilts and it rapidly gets rid of my leftover fabrics. But remember to choose the vivid contrasting lights and darks for a striking quilt. Good luck.