Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Quilter here >

New Quilter here

New Quilter here

Old 08-06-2014, 06:52 AM

Thumbs up New Quilter here

Hello everyone, I am new to quilting. I am hoping to make 7 quilts for my granddaughters.
When an older person is living on a fixed income and not much $ left over at end of month, where
do you get fabrics for quilting? I went in a fabric store and walked right out again, LOL didn't realize
fabrics are so expensive these days. Tried to search CL but nothing in my area, and if there is an ad for
free scraps, someone has already grabbed em up. LOL I know I will be posting a lot more in the future
as I have no clue how to put quilts together or quilt them or just tie them. I can make the tops easy enough, cause I have chosen to make log cabin, crazy quilt, and the disappearing nine patch as these seem the easiest to start with. So if I ever get enough fabric to start, I will be back with a million and one questions I am sure. LOL
Old 08-06-2014, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Bonnie Hunter does some of her quilts with material from cotton shirts. Go to her site http:// www.quiltville.blogspot.ca for free patterns as well as tips. She has a video on how to de-bone a shirt to maximize the amount of fabric for quilting in the Tips and Technique section under Deconstructing a man's shirt, I think.

Last edited by Tartan; 08-06-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

You can also try Walmart, Joann's and Hobby Lobby (both with coupons), and online sites. All are less expensive than the quilt stores. For even less cost, go to yard sales, thrift stores, and join a quilt guild. (Some guilds have free tables where people share the odds and ends that they don't want to keep.) Fabric is also sold and sometimes given away in the thrift shop and yard sale section of this board - http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...-yard-sale-f6/. Welcome to the board and have fun quilting.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Ask friends and relatives for discarded clothes and linens. As far as discarded pants, I cut the legs off and square them up. Estate sales are great especially when they have queen size and big/tall men's clothes really cheap. Skirts are great especially if they're gathered. For your crazy quilts don't forget to check out ladies underskirts as they usually have lace trim. The older ones do anyway. If you get clothes that have stains on them and cannot get the stain out then just cut it out if the piece is big enough. That is how I started. If you think about getting into any kind of applique cheap coloring books are great or you can download and print some caricatures of cute little animals. I went to an estate sale wanting clothes. Go on the last day. You can save as much as 90%. They want to get rid of the clothes. I spent $5 at an estate sale and came home with about 20 yards of potential material. I like estate sales better than GW and SA. Estate sales are cheaper than Goodwill and Salvation ARmy. And believe me the hosts at the estate sales are not fond of carrying or calling for them to come get what is left. My sister went to one in Indiana where she lives. She got there just 15 minutes before closing. Spent $10.00 on some furniture and other material and few dishes. One furniture set was $20.00. Needed fixing, she offered $10.00, they gave it to her. You don't always have to go far. Make sure you wash all the material before using and check for stains. I use ammonia, Arm and Hammer washing powder, white vinegar. Helps remove a lot of stains and odors like old perfume. Have fun don't fret. Start with people you know.

Last edited by tessagin; 08-06-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Welcome
Old 08-06-2014, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

So sorry! Excuse my manners! Welcome to the board! I just get excited when people ask for resources for material.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:37 AM

Welcome to quilting, and to this board! LOTS of helpful people here.

You could maybe use outgrown clothing from each child in their quilts? That would be a fun, personal touch.

Another place to score cheap clothes for quilting is Goodwill outlets. They sell clothing by the pound.

My quilt guild has an annual fabric sale that is open to non-members; fabric is sold for $2 a pound. Guilds in your area might do the same?

If you start getting in touch with quilters in your area, they can clue you in to where all the best local deals are! I found out about all kinds of cool stuff when I joined a guild. Sewing classes are another great way to meet quilters & sewers; look at local sewing centers & sewing machine stores, some of them will have free "classes" that are really about them demonstrating and trying to sell you a certain product, but you don't have to buy anything and you can still meet people that way.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:18 AM

Welcome to the board -- you will find lots of information here. Most quilt shops have a sale room -- be sure to check it out -- on special occasions fabric can be up to 90% off. I always scope that out. Good luck finding fabric.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:28 AM

I recommend sewing with a charity group. They usually get lots of fabric donated and often are happy if someone can use some of the scraps, especially if it is one of the volunteers. They also may have tables you can use for sandwiching your quilts before or after the sessions. I also recommend garage and estate sales as mentioned above.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I recommend sewing with a charity group. They usually get lots of fabric donated and often are happy if someone can use some of the scraps, especially if it is one of the volunteers. They also may have tables you can use for sandwiching your quilts before or after the sessions. I also recommend garage and estate sales as mentioned above.
this was my thought too. i belong to a few groups... the monthly guild is a large group and someone is always bringing in something for the 'free' table.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 AM

If you have a Joann's, be sure to use a coupon and go there to get some fabric. It may take a while for you to get enough fabric to suit your needs, but it will be cheaper there. For you first purchase, find a fabric that you really love. Then your future fabrics can be bought to coordinate with it.

It's not just the cost of fabric, but the amount you will need. So, figure out what pattern you are going to make first and how much fabric you will actually need. Log cabin is a perfect starting pattern. When I teach quilting, I always use it.