Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New quilter >

New quilter

New quilter

Old 05-20-2014, 05:37 PM

When I was first learning to use a rotary cutter I banged up my blades & dulled them fast. Not sure what I was doing besides banging them into the ruler & probably not holding it properly, but I only use one or occasionally 2 a quilt now.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:37 PM

Goodness, I only change blades when absolutely necessary. I never kept track, but I believe it is probably every 5--10 quilts. I use an Olfa mat and either Fiskar or Olfa blades. I recently bought some titanium blades and really like them. I wonder if you are hitting the ruler with the blade and that is dulling them. Another thing, I don't cut too many layers at a time. Usually 2--4.
Sue
Old 05-20-2014, 05:39 PM

Three new blades for one quilt seems excessive. What cutting mat are you using?
Old 05-20-2014, 05:47 PM

I have also had problems with the blade skipping when the mat stops healing itself so well. The blade will skip over those little grooves.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:07 PM

I don't change blades that often. I'm wondering if it your mat. There was a post recently about a seller on e-bay selling blades for around $1 each with good reviews. I have not tried them.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:53 PM

I think it's your mat too. I have a few used areas on my self healing Olfa mat and it seems like the blade doesn't cut through on those areas. I also agree with the others that maybe you are hitting the ruler. Also, I have to be standing and using a lot of pressure. It doesn't work with me sitting down. Not enough pressure or right angle.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:57 PM

I feel like a big ole cheapskate. I don't use blades in relation to quilts, but like months. 1 blade can last me 3-4 months depending on use and fabric being cut. I use olfa titanium blades and mat.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:01 AM

Beside the mat underneath some fabric is not very goof with blades. I find poly and thicker fabrics cause problems. Perhaps a look at sizzix or the cutters would end up bet ter for you although one are cheap.
Quilting"
Mats and cutters expensive and need replacing sometimes.
Fabric getting more and more expensive .
Notions expensive.
Scissors guard with your life ONLY FOR FABRIC.

OH BUT IT IS SO RELAXING, THERAPUTIC, GREAT FRIENDS TO MEET , AND ADDICTIVE
Will stop the cleaning, cooking and soap thrills .

Keep quilting and enjoy all these wonderful things all wrapped up in cotton fabric.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:17 AM

Thanks all so much! It has to be the mat and I never would have thought of that. I use a blue mat that says "rotary cutting mat"
Old 05-21-2014, 02:46 AM

I am old fashioned and have muscle issues. If I am making strips or even blocks I tear the fabric as much as possible. It keeps the grain straight and saves a lot of that bearing down with a cutter that is so hard on my arms and back.