Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New quilter >

New quilter

New quilter

Old 05-22-2014, 04:42 AM

I use a blade through several quilts the green olfa mat is the best also if you are hitting or running over the ruler this will nick the blade also are you taking your blade out to clean lots of lint can form under the blade and cause it to skip be very careful but take your blade out wipe under it with a soft clean cloth put just a tiny drop of sewing machine oil under the blade just a drop as to much will get on your fabric when I do this with mine it will work like a new one again just be very careful when cutting that you don't hit or run over your ruler or any pins
Old 05-22-2014, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I don't change blades that often. I do the same as BOSTON1954, just bear down harder. I did get a special ruler that supposedly sharpens your blade as you cut, but it's not very see-through, and it's too hard for me to see my fabric under it.
I have two of the rulers that are supposed to sharpen as you cut and haven't been pleased with either. they really are hard to see through so will probably take them to Goodwill. They just keep getting in my way in my ruler collection!
Old 05-22-2014, 05:20 AM

Sometimes you have to clean the blade & the cutter where the blade is attached. Be careful - they're sharp!
Old 05-22-2014, 06:09 AM

You can buy blades from Harbor Freight for about $3 for a 2 pack. They're called carpet cutter blades. Some people don't like them but for the price you can't beat them.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:42 AM

there is a gadget which is basically sanded paper, it is pretty effective and inexpensive, I get lots of use from each blade.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:18 AM

Sometimes, if you reverse the blade you will get more out it. Also, there is an inexpensive gadget that will sharpen your blades to give them a little longer life. I have also purchase on Ebay, resharpened blades and have been happy with them.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:37 AM

I like a nice sharp blade so I got the "TrueCut" blade sharpener kit, it will do any size blade, and as soon as all the blades in all my rotary cutters are dull I will use the kit to fix them right up!
Old 05-22-2014, 08:52 AM

I cut several quilts with one blade and have no difficulties. I have an Olfa mat and use Olfa cutters. I will add that when we travel in our camper I have one of the white, non self healing mats an the blades do not last very long. I am looking to buy a new Olfa mat in a small size to use in the camper where space is limited. I try to do most of my cutting before I leave home when possible. No, blades are not a huge cost for me. I buy quite a few at a time when I find a really good sale.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:07 AM

I purchased a cheap blade sharpener from jhittlesewing.com and it does a pretty good job. I get a lot out of my blades! I can cut 2 or 3 quilts at least. Hopefully this will help somebody. Hope so

Welcome to the quilting world.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:14 AM

I'm on my 24th quilt and have always used a scissors. I cut on my counter top and am not tall enough to bear down correctly.