Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to Quilting - Applique question >

New to Quilting - Applique question

New to Quilting - Applique question

Old 02-04-2020, 01:17 PM

Default New to Quilting - Applique question

Hi all! I’ve never quilted before, and my hubby bought me a little quilt kit with Applique turtles on them. I watched the whole series of quilting tutorials by Quilt Addicts Anonymous, and it had been super helpful. My question is on the Applique part, it’s a fusible Applique with edge stitching. The pattern says to stitch the Applique through the batting, didn’t say anything about backing. But everywhere I read says the stitch happens on the top only, after the Applique had been fused. So I’m not sure what to do now. Is it super weird to stitch through batting only? I’m planning on doing hand blanket stitches for the edging, would love some input on whether I should just stitch the top only, or stitch through the batting? Thanks!
Old 02-04-2020, 01:43 PM
Gay

It's totally up to you which way you prefer, whatever you will be comfortable with. For myself, I'd rather applique onto the fabric block first, especially if planning to hand blanket stitch, and do the quilting either as a Quilt As You Go (includes batting and backing), or later when all blocks are joined together, as a whole. If I did the applique by machine, including the batting would be my way to go, but I wouldn't like to stitch it down by machine (straight stitch) then try to blanket stitch by hand. But then this is only my preference.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:47 PM

I do very little handwork at all so can only offer some general advice. Is the kit a small project or a bed sized project? If it is a small project it may be designed to be pieced/quilted/sewn all at the same. Usually you do the applique on your fabric before you have batting anywhere near it. Are your turtles stuffed? In that case I could see where you would stitch through batting.

We also have a lot of similar terms that can mean different things to different people. So are you sure it is batting and not fusible interface of some sort??
Old 02-04-2020, 02:16 PM

Welcome to the quilting board from Texas. Sounds like you are off to a good start with your new found hobby.
I would say if you stitch the applique through the batting, you will get a puffy look to the turtles. The technique you are asking about sounds like Trapunto to me. You can do a search on trapunto & probably find lots of videos. I've never done my applique like that. I've always just stitched the appliqued pieces to the top block & when all done I then layer my quilt with the top, batting & backing & then quilt it all together. Have fun & keep asking those questions as we all learn from them.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:18 PM

Welcome to the QB for SE Michigan! Thanks for jumping right in. There are a lot of people able to answer in many different ways. My way of applique is using a fusible interfacing. If your turtles are stuffed then lay your stuffing so that it will turn to the inside after you sew the fusible onto the applique Be sure the fusible is properly places so that when you make a small slit in the interfacing, that the fusible side it to the outside. this way you can iron it onto the block for placement. Also be sure to cut through the middle of the batting and turn with the fusible. Then it will be much easier to do your blanket stitch by hand. Continue to jump right in and enjoy the board. Looking forward to seeing you on the board.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:47 PM

Wow, thank you so much for all your help! I didn't even know there's a technique to stuff the applique. To give a little more detail, this is a small wall hanging piece, so not attaching to any more pieces, the applique is applied with fusible interfacing. And the exact wording on the instruction was to "Blanket stitch, satin stitch, zigzag or straight stitch the applique pieces to the background through the quilt top and batting." Sounds like I can do either and it would turn out okay?
Old 02-04-2020, 08:10 PM

That sounds like they want you to applique and quilt it at the same time.

Usually when you sew applique on, you're stitching it only to the quilt top (yes, even if it's fused on). Then you add the batting and backing, and quilt it all together. But there is no "right" or "wrong" way, it's personal preference. I agree with the observation that if you do it as the instructions direct, your turtles will be puffy.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:21 AM

Greetings from south Texas. Great advice so far. I'll just add that when I applique, I place newspaper under the project as I satin stitch around the (turtles). Then I tear away the newsprint. I haven't appliqued through batting before, so I can't offer advice for that.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:03 PM

I use to blanket stitch and then sandwich...But I now sandwich and either edge stitch or blanket stitch to give the puffy look because the pieces stand out more when hanging.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:55 AM

Thank you everyone again for all the great advice! I think I will try both ways on scraps and see how they turn out. The idea that the turtle will puff up more is intriguing.