Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to quilting and this board, Needing expert advice >

New to quilting and this board, Needing expert advice

New to quilting and this board, Needing expert advice

Old 02-22-2022, 04:25 PM

Default New to quilting and this board, Needing expert advice

I was making a quilt for a friend with some cheap fabric I got online. I was so happy to get it all sown together and then I noticed 2 mistakes. The block at the top of the cross is not dark enough and there are 2 similar blocks touching : (
Do I rip it apart or leave it ?
Is there any other way beside ripping it up to fix this ?

I know the fabric patterns are misaligned, I really tried to make them work but couldn't. I am new to this and still learning the basics.

Attached Thumbnails maya-quilt-top.jpg  
Old 02-22-2022, 04:38 PM

welcome

No no. Do not rip. Wish my first quilt top looked as well made as yours.

Finish this project and then Start a new project and used what you learned with this project.

Each project builds on the projects made before.

Only God is perfect.

enjoy your new interest in quilting. 👍
Old 02-22-2022, 04:48 PM

I think that you are a bit too close to the project and that it is fine as is. Sure, in a perfect world maybe you could take out one of the polka dots (hoping that is the two next to each other that you see!) and switch it with the center, but I read it perfectly clear for what it is, and that the love shines through.

I talk about randomness and aesthetic randomness, true randomness does result in the same fabrics touching and sometimes it results in ugly and generally we are looking for aesthetic/attractive.

Maybe just like your friend and you, the two alike fabrics are supposed to be together!
Old 02-22-2022, 05:05 PM

Welcome from Southern California! I had to study your quilt carefully to find the same two blocks next to each other so I don't think that's a problem. I wholeheartedly agree with the others about not making a change. It's a wonderful start into your quilting adventure! I hope you can take a picture of your very first quilt to enjoy in the future.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:27 PM

I was very easily able to see the cross in the middle of the quilt.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Maybe just like your friend and you, the two alike fabrics are supposed to be together!
I think this is a very creative way to look at this!

I agree with the previous posters. Your quilt is very nice, and changing it will only bring new headaches that you don’t want to deal with at this stage of the game. Finish this one and move on to the next. You have learned about contrast and layout, and this will help in your future projects.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:08 PM

What a lovely start to quilting. I think it is beautiful just as it is.

With my first quilt, I made a mistake and had no more fabric left in the right color. I ended up piecing scraps together to make a 5” square to complete the quilt. I gave the quilt to my Mom, and she said she treasured it all the more because it gave it a more personal touch.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:12 PM

I looked and could not find the two matching blocks!. I have made similar "mistakes" and always choose not to rip it out. You spend so much time staring at your pieces from 8 inches away, you will notice so many things that nobody else will!

Regarding the light colored block. Firstly, I am impressed that you identified the issue. I didn't understand the importance of value and contrast until years into my quilting life. That being said, don't rip it out (the cross is still noticeable from a distance), and congratulate yourself on being ahead of the curve. Use this insight to make an even more awesome 2nd quilt!

overall, though, I recommend just stepping back from the quilt, maybe even stepping away from it for a while. Ripping can be very aggravating and depressing, I would not want you to invite that into your first quilt! Enjoy the process. DO NOT point out these "mistakes" to your friend, and simply bask in the glorious response you receive from him/her when he/she receives your wonderful gift!

Welcome to quilting. Welcome to the board. We have very friendly and knowledgeable folks here, so don't be a stranger!
Old 02-22-2022, 07:42 PM

It's just fine. Your friend will be thrilled that you made it just for her. As LAF2019 said, DO NOT show her what you consider mistakes, and to add to that, DO NOT mention cheap fabric! Once it's finished it will be a really pretty quilt and you'll have gained experience and knowledge for your future march into quilting territory. And you'll be anxious to get to the next one, and the next one. And so it starts.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:42 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

The only criticism you made about your quilt that I might even see, once you pointed it out, is the square above the cross doesn’t offer enough contrast. While it doesn’t bother me or probably anyone else, if it does you, color it! I have used tea to darken a piece of fabric and you could certainly use a light brown or whatever permanent marker and carefully color it in to contrast it more with the cross.
I love your meaningful quilt especially as we approach the season of Lent. But you apparently are looking for a solution so here it might be.
Now a word of unasked for advice : Relax and enjoy your labors of Love.