Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the opposite of the Happy Dance? >

What is the opposite of the Happy Dance?

What is the opposite of the Happy Dance?

Old 02-22-2022, 11:24 AM

Default What is the opposite of the Happy Dance?

I am working on a quilt that has given my more than my share of problems. I spray basted, as I have done many times before. I have always used JT spray with no problems. Using her spray, you spray the batting, and it's a smooth process. This time I accidentally sprayed a spot on the border. It's only the size of a quarter. I figured it would dry, and come out in the wash when quilt was done. I even forgot about it, until I was quilting that area and saw it again. I decided to spot clean it. First I just wet the area, rubbed it a bit, and let it dry. Still there. Then I washed with Dawn, and let dry. Repeated. Then I moved on to two rounds of Shout, and the stain is still there. Now I've reached the point that I've lost two days, and I think the color is fading! Any other suggestions/ideas? I have barely enough fabric to replace the section, if I reduce the all around border by an inch. If I do so, I will have to forgo matching the pattern on the bottom, and side. Not a game changer, the quilt is for me, but I'd like to avoid doing this if at all possible.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

If it won’t wash out of your border fabric, I wonder what it does inside the quilt? At this point with all the things you have tried, I would replace the piece of fabric or cover it with an appliqué. Sometimes with a pieced quilt, I like to extend the pattern with a partial quilt block into the border. It can give a nice look and can help disguise having to piece a border. The opposite of Happy Dance? Slowly banging your head on the sewing table.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:49 PM

Are there any laundering instructions on the label? Have you tried contacting the manufacturer to see what they'd recommend? That would be the first thing I'd do, before possibly setting the stain further.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Tartan, you gave me my first laugh for the day!!!
Old 02-23-2022, 06:45 AM

Opposite could be the sad shuffle. Get creative and do something unexpected to cover the stain. It will make you feel accomplished and send you back to the Happy Dance stage!

Old 02-23-2022, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The opposite of Happy Dance? Slowly banging your head on the sewing table.
LOL! I know that one well
Old 02-23-2022, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

if the quilt is for yourself, are you able to ignore the spot?

Could you try covering over it with inktense pencil or color crayon or some type of ink ? Always experiment on scraps before doing something to your main item!!
Old 02-23-2022, 09:22 AM

"What happened to Toto?" that is my unhappy dance with things go wrong. I too would put an applique over the offending area if possible. Tartan I am ROTFLMBO!
Old 02-23-2022, 11:35 AM

I too have "over done" the fix it process.
I once spilt coffee on the blouse top of my favorite outfit. Someone told me to put dish soap on it.
The bleach took out the stain, but then I had a white spot. So, I thought I'd bleach the whole thing and have a white top.
Unfortunately, the top was stitched with polyester thread. I had a white top with all the peach thread showing.
I decided to get some fabric dye and make it peach again.
The dye turned the top orange.
I put it back in the washing machine with less bleach and kept doing this until I got the color I wanted.

I guess sometimes the fix doesn't quite work as one planned.

Or, how about the time I ran out of black fabric. Went to the store and bought some. I did not know that there were so many shades of "black!!!" Live and learn.

My friend's dog tore a hole in a quilt I had made her. So, I embroidered a dog with my machine to cover the hole. It was the perfit solution. I'm all for making patches, not fixes.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:13 AM

Good fun and great suggestions. After all quilting is supposed to be fun. If everyone's work was perfect there would be no good stories to tell.