Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New quilting machine bernina >

New quilting machine bernina

New quilting machine bernina

Old 10-12-2018, 06:25 AM

I do have it! Bernina 770QE. I love it!
it is easy to use, sounds beautiful, makes perfect stitches! Love that big bobbin! I am still learning stuff on it.
Have had it 2 years (no judgement please )
There are a few things easier on the 790, 880 but not worth the extra $$
Congratulations on you wonderful purchase!!!!
Old 10-12-2018, 06:31 AM

Oh, I do have one “complaint”. When I use the scissor feature it ties off the threads and cuts them. But there is such a pull that the thread spool on top spins. With some lighter weight threads I find it can tangle. I am sure it is me and I keep forgetting to go in and ask about it! So I have stopped using it and I STILL LOVE the machine. I had intentions of trying out all the good brands at a quilt show but once I sat with this machine I was sold! I do own another Bernina, a 930 Record, and had the same reaction to it when I tried it out! There must be a reason????
Old 10-12-2018, 08:22 AM

I had one until I traded it in for an 880....I can't stay away from bells & whistles. I've never had a problem with any of my bernina machines (5 total).
Old 10-12-2018, 08:34 AM

Always wait for the big sales or freebies. Remember that the price on a new Bernina is negotiable.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:37 AM

I can throw another wrench into it. Are you "trying" to get a machine that will really do FMQ? If that's kind of your end goal...for the $5500 price tag I saw...I'd go buy a floor model Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen (saw one the other day for $4000) and then spend the $1500 on a machine that will do fantastic "sewing" stuff. Why? There really is a big difference between a domestic and a sit down long arm. Thread breakage is real. Tension issues are a mess. A simple Sweet Sixteen/Tiara 3/Platinum 16 will truly quilt beautifully and without the massive headache. It just works.
Then if you need to go back and forth between machines for something (Like stitch in the ditch), it's so nice. Not to mention having to change all the settings back and forth, put the slider on, hold your mouth just right...and you still only have 11ish inches of space to move.
This is my own personal issue as well and I finally bought a Platinum 16. It's amazing. My FMQ has improved by leaps and bounds in the 3 weeks I've had it. I've finished 1 quilt already and about to start another. That's just a lot of money to try to have "one machine to rule them all".
They keep making these machines bigger and bigger but I'm beginning to wonder about that. My own Pfaff 5.0 with a walking foot (IDT). I saw it on eBay for $600 the other day. Just saying...for the money...the sit down long arms are amazing and if...at the end of the day...that is the goal? Maybe put the bulk towards the machine that specializes vs the machine that wants to do it all but can't do everything perfectly.