Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • new quilting room >
  • new quilting room

• new quilting room

Old 10-15-2013, 04:04 PM

Default new quilting room

We are going to be moving soon and in my new house I will have a room for quilting. I am trying to plan out my new room. The first thing that I want to get is a set up for my sewing machine. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a table. I would love to see what some of you have done. I would especially like to see what you have done without setting your machine level with your table.

Any other ideas for a quilting room would be greatly appreciated.
    Old 10-15-2013, 04:49 PM

I have my sewing machine on a computer desk. It's a little high, but much better than trying to use it on one of the plastic craft tables. On the plastic craft table, the sewing machine vibrated all over the place. So, you need stability for the desk/table. I think I might be able to adjust the chair to take care of the height problem. You'll need to plan storage for fabric and books, magazines and patterns.
    Old 10-15-2013, 04:53 PM

And if the house is being built for you, plan for LOTS of electrical outlets.
    Old 10-15-2013, 04:54 PM

Well, my solution was a quicky build that was suppose to be temporary so it never was painted or urethaned. Funny thing is I am still using it and it is actually proving to be pretty nice to have around. And it was very inexpensive. My husband threw it together just so I could have something until got to store to find something. He used scrap piece of ash wood and some wood cylinders cut down but if I knew I was going to keep using, I probably would have busted the bank and put some nice wood feet on it. I used it for along time just on a specially designated table but lately I have been using it, after realizing how portable it is (at least around the house) more on the dining and kitchen tables. It really is a "home job" but so much could be done to make it a Cadillac! [ATTACH=CONFIG]441522[/ATTACH]
    The sewing machine keeps it in place and from slipping but I have the shelf liner underneath just in case since legs are so close to the edge.
    Attached Thumbnails table.jpg  
    Old 10-15-2013, 05:05 PM

Go to ikea that's where I got my tables
    Old 10-15-2013, 05:30 PM

I got a Sew Ezi table and yes the machine is set in but they custom cut the acrylic piece that goes around your machine. It was about $300 but totally worth every penny. The extension tables were cheap tables I bought at Walmart and they collapse and store quickly and easily. The system I have makes quilting so easy and overall was not that expensive.
    Old 10-15-2013, 05:42 PM

Default Here's how I work on one of my machines.

My parents bought me a sewing cabinet for my 16th birthday and had my sewing machine (a Singer...model long forgotten) put in. That was 40 years ago and I've kept the cabinet with me for sentimental (and useful) reasons. I open up the cabinet and put my Brother sewing machine with it's little table on the wooden shelf. I leave it open all the time and it gives me extra space on the left. I also have a Singer desk that I picked up at a yard sale for $10 that I have my embroidery machine set up on. When I use my Featherweight I just take the Brother out of the cabinet and put the FW right in. One of these days I'm going to have a sewing table made with the drop ins for all my machines, but right now (and for the last 40 years!) this works for me. Excuse the mess...working on some of those cute fabric boxes!
    Attached Thumbnails sewing-corner.jpg  
    Old 10-15-2013, 06:05 PM

Well, I have the cheapest setup that anybody would have. I bought a long table that is used for dinners. I use half of the table for cutting, then I put my machine at the end of the table to sew. It works for me but probably not everyone would like.
    Old 10-15-2013, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom
    Go to ikea that's where I got my tables
    I am planning on going to ikea. What tables did you get?
    Old 10-16-2013, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo
    And if the house is being built for you, plan for LOTS of electrical outlets.

At above table height.