Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to Quilting - will my machine work? >

New to Quilting - will my machine work?

New to Quilting - will my machine work?

Old 07-29-2020, 09:08 AM

Welcome to the board and to the world of quilting. Oh no......is all I can say....😳I sure hope someone has warned you to the side effect of addiction when it comes to Quilting. Seriously, it's a wonderful stress reliever, artistic reliever, creative bug reliever, and is a lot of fun.
so glad you found us. There is lots of help and wonderful info on here and of course on the great world wide web. Sounds like good news on your machine, now more money to spend on fabric😁. Enjoy.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

Many people piece beautifully with vintage sewing machines. If you can sew a straight line you can create a quilt top with your machine. Welcome and dive in. 🤗
Old 07-29-2020, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

None of made a perfect quilt the first time and many still don't. Do the best you can and just keep going. You will see improvement with each one.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board, Jules!
As long as your machine works you can make a quilt.
I think you'll find that Youtube becomes your best friend. There are tons of good tutorials there.
This board is full of knowledgeable, generous people too
Old 07-29-2020, 03:03 PM

Welcome Jules, Seems you're not a beginner at using a sewing machine, as I was when I first started about a month or so ago.

I would imagine that your machine should work just fine. If you haven't used it in those 8 years, you might think about getting it checked out, and fine tuned,by a professional, or if you are good with mechanical stuff, you might wish to go through the mechanical, and clean and oil it. At least that is what I have watched on videos, and read, when it comes to a machine that has sat around for some time.

You'll get a lot of support here. I should know, as I have gotten some wonderful support with lots of tips.

I think you'll do well with your sewing experience
Old 07-29-2020, 04:26 PM

A warm welcome to the boards!

Old 07-29-2020, 05:51 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

If you have ever used your machine to free hand darn or free hand embroider, you already know how to free motion quilt. If that thought makes you nervous, use a walking foot and work on smaller projects to practice free motion. You would need to do that on most moderately priced new machine.

If you have that green Elna, I remember my Aunt Lydia had that machine. It would do absolutely anything.

The walking foot keeps the layers on the quilt from shifting, preventing folds and creases in the finished product.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:46 PM

1) run some fabric through the machine. Does it feel nice or does it feel like its struggling?
2) just worry about the piecing right now. Find a simple pattern (maybe just patchwork squares or a rail fence) and go for a reasonable size (baby or throw...60x60 or less)
3) make sure you have a 1/4 piecing foot. It is worth the cost!..which is not too expensive.

First quilt is a doozy. Be kind with yourself. Worry about the piecing now and the quilting later. There are nice ladies with special machines called Long Arms that can do the quilting. I swear there is some kind of magic they do to what they touch. (Sadly you pay for the magic but that's another story)

Every one after your first will get easier.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:27 AM

Welcome Jules...I’m sure your vintage machine will get you off on a good start. I was also going to suggest oiling it but bkay was quicker to respond. : ) Have fun and we look forward to hearing about your projects.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the Quilting Board and happy quilting