Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to Quilting - will my machine work? >

New to Quilting - will my machine work?

New to Quilting - will my machine work?

Old 08-01-2020, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

How exciting! A new quilter. I am so glad you found the quilting board. You can ask any questions in the main section of the board and many quilters will answer them. Don't feel any question is too silly, we all have been where you are and understand the need.
Welcome and have a wonderful time learning your new hobby. There is a search feature here too that you can look up subjects that people have asked, so, perhaps your questions have been answered and you can look it up quickly.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:49 AM

I've sewn for around 40 years and used many different machines, the best one is one that you feel happy sewing on, it's reliable, i.e. You can sit down and just get on with sewing instead of tearing your hair out because it's jammed again.

Don't feel you have to have the latest and most expensive machine to start, despite what some videos try and tell you. I have a bells and whistles brother but I mourn the loss of my Bernina 1130, after loaning it to someone who dumped it when they moved house, because the stitch quality on it was second to none and it just worked every time, any thread, any fabric. I've not seen that quality on newer machines.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:47 PM

Hi Jules and welcome. It doesn't take a special machine to make a quilt. I started out on a simple Brother sewing machine and it sewed just as well as any other. Good luck and have fun. 🙋‍♀️