Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New or refurbished ? >

New or refurbished ?

New or refurbished ?

Old 06-03-2016, 03:49 AM

When I bought my last sewing machine, I traded up and I bickered for a lower price and got it. It's always worth a try to save a few dollars when buying a new machine.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:39 AM

I bought a floor model BERNINA B530 and the needle threader did not work. I took it back in and they installed a whole new assembly. I also have full warranty on it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I do like working with a dealer who specializes in specific brands rather than just a sewing and vac store.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:56 AM

My Bernina Activa 240 was a trade in. It came with a warranty and lessons and I saved big $. I've had it for 2 years with no problems.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:20 AM

I purchased an inexpensive, refurb Brother as a travel machine several years ago and it's still going strong. All Brands explains refurbished/factory serviced as items that are blemished, have defects, or have been returned, and are sent to the factory for repair. They can't be sold as new, but can have full warranty and great prices because problems have been located and repaired.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:22 AM

I bought a refurbished Janome from a gentlemen who does sewing machine repair/maintenance. He offered a 1 year parts/labor on the machine. I haven't had a bit of problems with it.

I bought a new machine (Janome) in a sealed box from a dealer and it has been back several times in the year for issues.

Basically, I'm happy with both machines once the bugs got out of the new machine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurbished machine but then again I buy used cars too.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:54 AM

I am from Oregon. We encourage each other to think and live green. I buy refurbished as much as possible, also keeps prices closer to my budget. I am even typing this on a refurbished iPad. The trick with refurbished, is only buy refurbished from a known source. I bought this IPad through Appl themselves. They make it, they can refurbish it properly. Never had any issues doing so. My fancy quilting machine was a "demo" model also, and have been using it nearly eight years with no issues.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
When I bought my last sewing machine, I traded up and I bickered for a lower price and got it. It's always worth a try to save a few dollars when buying a new machine.
Your post made me chuckle. I have always felt that arguing for a better price was a form of "bickering". Grandpa called it "dickering". Lol!
Old 06-03-2016, 07:06 PM

My husband and son -- neophytes both -- bought my Brother Innov'is 450Q from a local sewing center; it was a "surprise" Christmas gift to me. It was a "floor model" and "discounted" but they still paid too much for it, in my opinion, because I think this machine has been abused, probably by people taking lessons who didn't know how to use it. The housing is "off" a little bit, as if slightly warped, and the extension table doesn't quite fit. I didn't know enough about computerized machines when I first got it to know if it had issues or not, but now it's behaving a little oddly-problems with uneven stitch length--so I need to take it in.

My first tried and true old Singer was used when I bought it about a thousand years ago and I never had any trouble with it. But that was then. Quality of everything has lessened, I think, and being computerized means more possible problems. I don't think I would have bought the Brother 450Q I have, but I don't know what I would buy in a modern, computerized machine. Good luck in your search!
Old 06-04-2016, 02:12 AM

I bought a new Avante with the new price but so wish I had bought a trade in from some other dealers who offered lessons for two days. My new Avante dealer gave me about 45 minutes and it's a clunker. I bought my Bernina Virtuosa for 1/3 the price of a LQS but I bought a used floor model off eBay, it's been perfect now for 10 years, took it in one time for a major cleaning.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:36 AM

I purchased my Janome through a dealer. On the advice of a friend, I inquired of dealers if they had trade-ins that they recommended. By luck, a person had purchased the machine I now have and then decided to step up to an embroidery machine. She traded this one in with little use and I've been quite satisfied with it for a lot of years.

I assume your term 'refurbished' indicates that the machine has previously had problems and was serviced by the company. I'd want a good warranty, fantastic price and a reasonable time to test drive that one. It may be that you will have a gem but it may have been a lemon. Be sure the dealer will stand behind it. I doubt I'd want to buy directly from the company because of the distance between them and your machine. I'd want more direct contact with the seller.