Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Ruler: June Taylor Perfect Half Square Triangles

Power Poster
    I was wondering -

the original fabric was cut + 7/8 inch finished size
    the stitching lines were drawn on
    the stitching was on the stitching lines

she's squaring up the blocks -

with the other three steps, why aren't they coming out "perfect" after the sewing?

Power Poster
    I didn't see dunster's post before I wrote mine -

great minds think the same???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I was wondering -

with the other three steps, why aren't they coming out "perfect" after the sewing?

i've never had a problem when i did the above steps correctly.

i think the error comes from being aggressive during the ironing process and then they need to square things up because it was stretched out of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I was wondering -

actually, if the idea of oversizing and then trimming down appeals to you, going for an additional 1/8" makes the measuring a lot easier. cut an extra 8/8th's, so to speak ( 1") and trim the excess away. it's much easier to measure 1" than 7/8".

We also have to remember that this could be just the tool for a newbie that is still learning the tricks of the trades.

I picked up one of these at Wal-mart yesterday for $11 and change. I mainly bought so would be easier for my mom. Easier for her to sew on lines than to mark the center line and then hope that she is getting the 1/4 or less from the line and then square up.

I can see where this could be a senseless tool in some people's minds, but not everyone grasps the other "easy" methods. And yes, I agree in theory should square up if sewing on lines, but some people can't always sew directly on lines.

excellent point

Klue

Try www.wondercutruler.com. There isn't a tutorial as such but they have step by step instructions. I use mine when I want to make lots of half square triangles.

Ok I tried three times to go to her site at trishstewart.com to get the templet she mentions in the u tube, there isn't anything there about it. Now I hope someone can tell me what that is all about.

Banned
    here's some 1/2 square triangle tape

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/8139.htm

Mine usually have to be squared up because I gab too much with whoever while I'm working on them. But I've only used HST twice and I'm ready to experiment with some different methods like thangles and special rulers!! I have the plain old June Taylor multiple strip type rulers and I do like them for cutting strips, but you must be very careful you don't knick them with your cutter and I can see where they would wear out quicker than a regular single cut ruler because they are made of a softer flexible material. They're probably not as accurate as acrylic rulers, but you're only as accurate as your least accurate tool, and with me that weak spot could be any number of things, most likely my brain :lol: :lol: So at any rate, THANKS for all the good ideas everyone, HSTs are in most of the blocks I really like, so I'd like to get fairly good and quick at making them. I'll find a way that works best for me cause evrybody has their own drummer :D

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    here's some 1/2 square triangle tape

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/8139.htm
    wonder if plain old 1/2 inch masking/painter's tape would work as well -

sure are a lot of roads to Rome

Banned
    thanks. now is she the same gal that does the long arm?

Banned
    i'm thinking 1/2 masking tape or painters tape is the way to go.

Banned
    I love the way Rhonda does her HST. I'm gonna be doing mine like that. Check out her tut.

Power Poster
    I'm thinking for me - that pressing "aggressively" - as klue said - might be a large part of my problem(s) with blocks involving triangles.

I have tried so many different gimics for half sqs. Even TA Da fusible interfacing pre printed with all sizes. They made a great pattern to transfer to paper. Then go thru the tearing off bit. Did not want to purchase more fusible.
    Watch this video especially the second half.
    http://quiltinaday.com/television/vi...lesquareup.asp
    I make many half square and quarter sq with it and they come out perfect every time. All sizes. You can get the ruler at Joanns with a coupon so it is very reasonable. The ruler comes with instructions for which size squares to cut to make 8 at a time.

Banned
    but her rulers only for squaring the block. it doesn't help with the stitch lines.

The ruler comes with the pattern for making 8 half sqs at a time.
    What it amounts to is cutting 2 sqs, drawing an X then sew 1/4 in from each side of line. Then cut + in middle then on lines. No bad grain either.
    I have the fons and porter 1/2 in ruler for drawing the lines also. This is fine but I do most of my sewing with scant 1/4 in.
    My sewing lines are never straight but when you line up the ruler you can see how crooked the line is and compensate. Mine tend to be narrower at the ends.

Aggressive pressing? I always thought that meant you left marks on somebody with the iron :lol: :lol: :lol: I will have to admit, I am an exuberant ironer :D

If you finger press first then just press down on square with the iron it should stay square. Just make sure the seam is completley open with no fold. And if you iron do it from the center point not from side to side.

I love the sense of humor I see on this board. Always a good laugh.

Power Poster
    I've been thinking - scary thought! - anyway -

if one is using the printed things and one is sewing exactly on the lines and cutting exactly on the lines - and if it gets skewed a bit in pressing - use it anyway as it is!

I used the printed paper patterns and they never came out right. Crooked or two small. Some were ok but not all of them. It has to do with the straight of grain.

I have the Wonder cut ruler and it is great for making half square triangles. It is so easy and no thinking involved excepting flipping the ruler.

Serena

Blog Entries
    Sharon Schamber shows what is, IMHO, the most efficient way to make HSTs into squares - which is how we usually use them. She demos her method here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFu1_4ksHj8

She cuts the squares AFTER the HSTs are sewn together, thus no stretching while ironing, and no need to square up. I'll repeat that - YOU ONLY CUT EACH SQUARE ONCE. NO SQUARING UP :!: :!:

Fons and Porter use a variation of Sharon's method - sew 2 bias strips together, and then cut squares from the strips.

With Sharon's method, you can cut enough squares for an entire quilt. It's the SAME method. It just depends on HOW MANY finished squares made from HSTs you need.

No paper foundations to tear off, no stretchy bias to get out of shape. Just oodles of finished squares made of HSTs. The main thing is, you have to be careful when you iron the strips together at the beginning! But you've starched the fabric heavily, so it's not going to stretch!!!

Best of all, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY A SPECIAL NEW RULER :D - and you probably already use the spray startch in your quilting cave. The wonder tape that Klue mentioned would work for marking lines for cutting if you're at all timid about using your rotary cutter after going to all the trouble of sewing all those bias strips together :!:

Thanks for the heads up on this new tool...something else that I think I may not be able to live without! :lol:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast