Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New sewing desk

New sewing desk

I have had my current sewing machine cabinet for quite some time now and have been very pleased with it. But my new machine is much larger and does not fit the desk. So I am researching cabinets. One of the features I really want is the ability to sit directly in front of the needle rather than to the side as with my old cabinet. My question is how can I tell this when I am researching on line? I can't tell just by looking at the pictures and I don't see anything in the description. I think I am rambling here and I apologize. I guess what I am hoping to learn is whether anyone knows of a cabinet which definitely has rhos feature. Thanks for any help.

Are you suggesting you want to use your machine like the Sweet 16 or Tin Lizzie sit down machine?

I haven't tried it yet, but I was wondering if I could turn my Janome in the sewing table it sits in, so that I could sit in front of the needle and have a side table to support the quilt.
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 11-25-2015 at 08:16 PM.

I guess I wasn't very clear. I just want to be able to sit in front of the needle when I do any kind of sewing. Well, to be honest all the sewing I do is quilt related. It just seems to me that all the cabinets have the sitting space so far to the right that I am looking at whatever I am working on from the side rather than head on. Does that make anymore sense?

Blog Entries
    i think your looking for a sewing set in cabinet not a quilting table,right well there allbrands.com that have a sale going on rightnow
    we can make our plans but the out come is in god,s hands nellie diaz

I would look for a wider space under the table. If you only have the width of machine & right of that underneath, you will not be able to line up directly in front of the needle.

I wish I could give you more advice than that. It depends on the size of your machine. If possible, I would try visiting some quilt shops that sell cabinets to test drive them. That should help give you a better idea. The lowest end Koala cabinet I looked at (not very seriously, just to learn how to make my own table) didn't allow me to sit centered at the needle. I made my own DIY inset from an Ikea INGO table. I am hoping to add a few small drawers on the left side under the table to store notions so I totally get the challenge of not having the drawers eat into the space needed to sit centered on the needle, rather than centered on the machine.

Not a cabinet, but I like the Gidget II table for my Janome 8900. With the machine pushed all the way to the right, I am able to use the plexiglass piece that comes with the machine to fill in the gap on the left. I just lay the plexiglass on the table -- works great and gives me room to sit in front of the needle, although I usually don't. I don't have it set up right now so can't take a pic.
    http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Gidget-I...=sewing+gidget

EB demo on her TV series how to cut an opening in a table and build the support for holding the machine. I am not sure you would be happy with sitting right directly in front of the needle with the bulk of a quilt needing to go under the needle.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    EB demo on her TV series how to cut an opening in a table and build the support for holding the machine. I am not sure you would be happy with sitting right directly in front of the needle with the bulk of a quilt needing to go under the needle.
    Why not? Where are you supposed to sit? On the side?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I like my 401 with the desk cabinet. I can sit either side of the needle. if you know of a carpenter or someone good with wood tools. You could customize your own. My DH and I were looking for a new desk for me. I wanted something like our kitchen table top. He's putting a top together and we are going to put it on top of the 2 file cabinets we purchased. This way you would have storage and the space you want on either side of the needle. Could put it on top of a couple bureaus and storage underneath when not in use.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I meant to say space on either side of the machine.

I was looking for exactly what you are now two years ago. Most cabinets I saw were not designed for the sewist to sit with her body squared in front of the needle bar. There were a few that did and even said so in the description. One of those is the Large Quilter's Dream by Horn. Another is Big Bertha by Arrow; it is 1/2 the price of the Horn cabinet. Arrow Gidget (not Gidget II) is a rather sturdy portable table which also offers a center-needle sitting position for around $100. When looking at cabinets on the line, the key is to look for one with a wide sitting area. Then look to see if the needle of the machine in the photo is approximately in the middle of that space or a little bit to the left. You can also always call the company and ask. Hope that helps!

Thanks for all the input. I have seen pics of the big Bertha cabinet and it does seem to have a larger opening for a chair and may work. Also there is one called Norma Jean which is a possibility. I would love to go to various dealers to see cabinets first hand but it just isn't possible for several reasons. I do appreciate the advice and suggestions.

I looked for a sewing cabinet for years and years before I settled on mine. I stumbled onto it at half price but after all my years of waiting I couldn't be more pleased. It's called Quilter's Vision by Tailormade. It came with the acrylic insert and the lift system and yes I sit right in front of the needle. It has a huge fold up/down section all the way across the back to hold a large quilt and lots of room on the left and even drawers. I couldn't be happier! Hope you find exactly the one you want too!

here is a post by Bonnie Hunter on her ergonomic cabinet find. http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2015/...m-cabinet.html
    I think the ones from the 60's Singer finally realized how uncomfortable it was to sit to the right of the needle and their cabinets began to 'get with the program'. If it is a Singer you want to rehome in a ergonomic cabinet then you need to look for a Singer cabinet. Their (with exceptions of course) set in holes are 10" apart on center.. and the scoot your chair in area is much wider.

That said, I had a carpenter friend redo the hole in my featherweight table (like a card table) to avoid the bent back problem and my big Janome is in a banquet table I had a cabinet maker adapt to holding the machine. Good luck and let us know how you come out.

Maybe that's why I've always preferred a table with the machine on top and an adustable chair. I never thought of it.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

When I got my sewing room set up, I bought a Sauder sewing table. It has a flat top, the machine does not fit into a cutout. There is a door that props up the table part to the left and it had lots of storage. To the left, there is a bit of room on the top, and a cabinet below with 3 shelves and a door. Below the table top, there is a shelf for more storage, though you can put your machine there if you want, it holds 75 pounds. I like it because I can move the machine around to where I want it, and even to the back if I want to do some pinning and need space. The table is from Walmart and I ordered it on line, had it shipped to the store (free) and took it home. Not too hard to put together, but it is heavy. But for the money, it has enough storage, and I can move my machine around on top so the needle is where I want it.

I have a Horn cabinet and it's wonderful. Bought a Janome 15000 and it just wouldn't set in my old cabinet and I sure didn't like it sitting on top as it was too high up for me to sew comfortably. Got my cabinet at my lqs and it's all put together so all we had to do was pick it up and bring it home and put machine in. Love, love it. It's the 3280 in oak. Hopefully I can post link, if not just do a search on Horn sewing machine cabinets.
    https://www.hornofamerica.com/produc...s&productID=92

So many good suggestions. I like the looks of the Horn cabinet but I would need to purchase the sewing caddy - ouch, there goes my budget. The Taylormade cabinet appears to have storage built in, I think. Just things to consider.
    You all are so helpful.

When you are looking at photos of the tables, check the chair space carefully, that is where you will be able to move to the left in order to line up with your needle. Good luck with your search

That is exactly what I have been trying ti do when looking at the pics online. But sometimes it is difficult to be sure sine the pics are at an angle. I think I have narrowed my choice to either the Tailormade (already assembled - yes!!!) or the Arrow Bertha (less expensive but must be assembled which the reviews indicate is quite a chore). Since my daughter and I are not skilled DIYers, I would most likely need to pay someone to put it together. And then there is the matter of getting a cabinet to my second floor sewing room and relocating the present cabinet to another room to use with my embroidery machine (not an ideal fit but workable for now). Man, this making my head hurt just thinking about it!

Can you post a pic when done? I like your idea a lot. I turned a table into a sewing cabinet for quilting but would like one a little more narrow for general sewing. Your idea of sitting it on file cabinets is a very good idea. Thanks

I have the Bertha and really like it. I got the extension for the back which can be raised or lowered which is nice when quilting. Actually, I leave the extension up most of the time unless I need to use the room for a guest room. Also ordered the acrylic insert. Plenty of room to put your chair where ever you want it as the whole front opens up. It is heavy, so you'll want to put it in the room or at least the floor where you want to use it before assembling it. I have moved it from one room to another with help. My husband is very handy and was able to set it up for me. Good luck on your decision.