Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New sewing machine? Enable me!

New sewing machine? Enable me!

My birthday is coming up in July and I'm thinking it might be time for a new sewing machine. I have a Brother XL5600 I've used on and off for about 10 years and made this couch quilt and various smaller projects. Quilting this was a real bear--very hard to shove the rolled up quilt through the machine--so I'd be looking for a larger harp and probably an extension table. I'd also like to be able to drop or adjust feed dogs when I get up the nerve to try FMQ. I think I'd prefer a mechanical machine because it could get serviced near me (I live in Brooklyn and don't own a car), but maybe automatic tension control and needle up/down stop would be worth going computerized. Finally, since I only sew on weekends, i think it would be hard to justify spending more than $1500 (and even that seems like a lot).

So far, I'm considering the Brother PQ1500SL and the Juki TL2000QI. Since getting to a dealer to try machines in person will be a pain, I'm trying to narrow down likely candidates online in advance. Thanks for any thoughts / advice / experience!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    i love the juki. i had a previous version and couldn't find one fault with it.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I have the Brother PQ1500s and love it. It is great for piecing and fMQ. One thing I noticed that you mentioned rolling your quilt. Try either accordion folding or puddling/squishing it instead, much easier to FMQ that way than rolling it.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I know that going to try them in person is difficult, but it would be worth it. I've tried a few different machines and it is definitely a personal thing. I love my machine, and I really hate my friends machine (but not my friend lol)

I've only heard good things about both machines you are thinking of. Good luck with your choice