Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Sewing table >

New Sewing table

New Sewing table

Old 11-21-2017, 04:18 AM

I got an amazing deal this spring on an Arrow table (kangaroo I think) for my new (this year) 770 QE and it has a drop down. I haven’t yet had the time to play with the embroidery module but I can just bring the machine back up to table level using the spring loaded mechanism when the time comes. I, too, love having the machine recessed for sewing and wish I could get another table for my Janome.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:28 AM

My daughter has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair. When she was a teenager it was almost impossible to find a desk or table at the right height to accommodate her wheelchair. So we bought a sturdy shelf and hung it at the exact height for her. Planning to do the same for me. I'm only 4'10" tall and am currently using an old office desk for my sewing table. However it is too high for me. If I raise my chair then I'm too far from the floor to reach the foot pedal. My husband even built a platform for my foot pedal but then I can't get my knees under the desk because of a center drawer. We're in Florida for the winter but when we get back to Michigan in the spring we're doing a complete overhaul of my sewing room, starting with a table for my sewing machine.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:38 AM

I don't know the machine you have but I do know they make those acrylic slide on tables that slide over the arm of your machine so you have a flat table although not a huge one. You can reach under it to change the bobbins. I am making one for myself but not having much luck so I may buy one. Something similar to this. I am not sure if the link will work.
http://www.allbrands.com/products/35...g-machine-exte

Lynda
Old 11-21-2017, 05:40 AM

I use an Ikea table, I have an adjustable office chair and a small raiser that I put the foot pedal on so everything is at the correct height for me. I don't like having the machine recessed, I just have a table extension I can put around the machine if I want a larger flat work surface.

I started out with an Ikea adjustable table, and once I found the height I preferred to work at, I went with the tables supported by drawer stacks. DH now has the table with the lift as he prefers to have his machine a few inches higher than I do. If needed, I can take his machine off and raise up that table to the same height as my cutting table and have a very large work surface.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:49 AM

I have a butcher block table top from Ikea. I also purchased the adjustable legs...5 of them for this table and I have my 830 and my embroidery unit attached to it sitting on it. I do like how this works... now that I have the height adjusted. I do find it easier to change and clean the bobbin area with this set up.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:22 AM

I have used many different tables and have finally found the 2 that I love. One is a piece of plywood that I cut to be 36" x 72". It is sitting on 2 files cabinets that I keep current projects in. This proved to be the perfect height for me. I painted it black and then applied several coats of matte varnish. It is long, smooth and doesn't reflect light. I keep a 30" x 36" cutting matte at one end. The other is a small sullivan table that I bought to sit right outside my workroom. My workroom has very poor insulation and sewing late at night in the dead of winter was actually painful. The sullivan table sits right on top of the heater vent!!! In January that is where you will see the main machine. My workroom has several other 'regular' tables and I use them for other projects (painting, building, etc.). The main reason for picking them for projects is being the correct height - this is critical for working extended period of time.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:31 AM

when using it for embroidery or the arm it is not recessed you can get a lift and be able to do it all it will raise your machine up when needed and lower it
Old 11-21-2017, 04:20 PM

I have tables that I bought at Office Max for less than $100 each...may also be available at Sam's. They are perfect height, and high enough for the small storage drawer units to fit underneath...also can be closed up if needed for moving. Good Luck finding what you need.