Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The New Singer Featherweight C240 Sewing Machine >

The New Singer Featherweight C240 Sewing Machine

The New Singer Featherweight C240 Sewing Machine

Old 10-16-2017, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
Personally for that money or less, find a vintage Featherweight or a Singer 301 to use as a portable. Both of these machines have metal gears, are able to be completely maintained by the owner, a sew a beautiful stitch. IMO, modern Singers are not worth the name and trying to capitalize on the known traits of the original Featherweight is not a good thing.
This is my thought. I haven't run across anyone with a modern Singer that didn't have a lot of trouble with it.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

Check out the Eversewn Sparrow 30 machine. You will be glad you did. I have a FW. I can't get an accurate 1/4 seam without a seam guide until I had the foot pedal changed to electronic. Now I can go as slow as one stitch at a time. I bought it here, also the 1/4 inch foot for FW and other vintage Singers .
https://www.novamontgomery.com/modul...6&image=Search

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-16-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:06 PM

I have a 1/4" foot for my 301 (from the Featherweight Shoppe - April carries 301 accessories, too), but I prefer the metal dam you screw to the bed of the machine. I travel with one when I sew other places because I can't sew a straight 1/4" without it. 17 pounds and easy to carry.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:14 AM

I have one but gotten mine way less than this quoted price! I love it and never had problem with it although I use my 1950 FW the most or the 301, I use the newer one for the stitches it provides or to take a break from the older ones
Old 10-17-2017, 06:38 AM

I'm going to very gingerly raise my hand and say... yes, there are people who have Singer machines which are NOT problematic... I'm one of them. I've owned Singers for years and only my Quantum L-500 was problematic and had to go back to the company for tweaking, but it works great now.

Personally, I'm intrigued by the new Featherweight. It has a lot of really nice features. I'm waiting for some reviews to be posted; right now, there isn't enough information to make the decision to buy, and I believe the price will come down at some point.

But please, let's not bash a machine that nobody has seen or used yet.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:53 AM

Have 2 old Featherweight machines that are fantastic and the FW C240 which is not great: hard to thread and does not sew a good stitch. I would look for an old Featherweight as they would run you the same or cheaper than the C240.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:18 AM

Brother makes a mechanical machine that is reasonably light weight for under $80. I have two - one for traveling and one for in my garage, where my LA is. I don't know if you have a 'wheelie' bag for your current machine, but you can get one of them very reasonably for about $50. The bag makes transport of any sewing machine much easier. If there is someone at home who can put the wheelie in your car, there is probably someone at your church group who would help you get it in and out at that end.

You could also use a carry-on bag with wheels to transport a machine.

Janome also makes a small machine, 5 pounds, that is easy to transport. I have one, but seldom use it because the one I have does not allow me to change the foot. However, I purchased it about 6 years ago, so maybe that feature has been changed. Other than that, it is a great little machine.

https://www.target.com/p/janome-comp...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 10-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

I bought a 1/4 foot for my vintage featherweight but the machine does not like it. All I get are skipped stitches or birds nests. I went back to Bonnie Hunter's hint for the best seam guide which is a piece of hotel card stuck down either the 3M poster sticker.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:12 AM

Until yesterday I had not heard of this machine, but today I had to drop off a machine to be repaired at my dealer, she sells Pfaff, Babylock & Elna, so very surprised to see the new Singer Featherweight. She said it is made by Pfaff. It is quite nice looking, has some of the same features of the Pfaff Passport. I played with it for a well and was very impressed with the quality and the sound, very smooth, quiet. If I were in the market for another machine (I'm not) I would consider it.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:35 AM

Well I have one of the first Singer Quantum machines and it is wonderful. Never had any problems with it except I can't buy new bobbins for it now. The first Quantum bobbins are different then the later models. Bought it at HSN years ago. One of the best machines I have and I have a Bernina, Janome, and three Brother machines. I have sewn on the first modern Featherweight and it sewed fine but for the money I would buy the Eversewn Sparrow 25 or 30. Many in my guild have the Eversewn and not one complaint from any of them.