Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The New Singer Featherweight C240 Sewing Machine >

The New Singer Featherweight C240 Sewing Machine

The New Singer Featherweight C240 Sewing Machine

Old 10-18-2017, 02:44 PM

Thanks! I will definitely look at the Featherweights now!
Old 10-18-2017, 05:23 PM

I have a 1936 FW and love the great stitch I also bought a 1/4 foot for it and use quite often. My 27 year granddaughter loves vintage so she is getting this machine. I told her she could have it whenever she wants it. I do take it apart and clean/oil it at least once a year...depending on how much I use it. I also have my regular Kenmore machine in the sewing room and a 301 and a singer treadle.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:43 AM

I have a Singer Featherweight C240 which I purchased on Amazon Canada for $300.00 plus shipping. I am having trouble just getting it to sew with the foot control. I start using it then when I resume it won't work...I have to use the button to sew. I could be doing something wrong...just don't know what. I called Sew Mastery in US which have great tutorials on various machines...this one included but he said I needed to talk to a dealer and that it was a great machine.. So far I would like to put it in the driveway and run over it!!! I am very frustrated with this machine as I don't like sewing with the button.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:46 AM

Pfaff feet fit these machines so check them out. It's amazing when you do a search to find feet compatible with your machine.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:21 AM

Just checked Amazon and its less the $400 now, something like $385.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:33 AM

I have to disagree re: repro Featherweight...I bought the first anniversary one a few yrs ago the 160 black and I Love it. It's a work horse and I've never had any issues with it. Stitches great and straight, easy threading etc...I got it thru Amazon at that time for 249. Only complaint I do have it's got no needle down which is annoying when we're so use to that. You have to do that by hand wheel.
I also have several vintage singers I love...can't kill those...3-301's and a 1901 Red Head. I also recently bought one of their emb machines which was discounted and discontinued for 199 just as a bkup to my good machines and again can't complain.
Guess it's the luck of the draw like any other brand.
I love and would only buy Husq Viking machines and others only buy Bernina's etc......it's what you get use too.
But my advise is do your research as I do before I buy any machine...Read reviews online.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-26-2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-26-2019, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by mountainwoman View Post
Well, this is disappointing, but I guess I expected it. What I mean is, I was hoping that maybe this modern Singer Featherweight would be a quality machine. As you pointed out, "Singers are not worth the name." This was a shocking revelation to me when I set out a couple of years ago to buy a sewing machine. I just assumed I would buy a Singer (which I owned back in the 1960s/1970s) and learned that they are, basically, a piece of junk these days. My teacher retirement/social security checks don't allow me to afford the really high quality machines, and I don't have the skill level (yet!) to merit the expense. I purchased a Brother SQ9185 Computerized Sewing and Quilting machine and could not be happier; I absolutely love it! I have taken it to my quilting group, to free up one of the ones we have through donations (we are a church group), but I am recovering from back surgery and can't do this right now. The reason I don't want to buy a vintage featherweight is because, I am sorry to say, I can't sew a straight scant 1/4" seam no matter how hard I try; I use a 1/4" foot with guide and my seams are perfect every time. I doubt I could use one on a vintage machine. Anyway, thank you so much for your input !
I have this same Brother, purchased from Walmart with all accessories for an incredibly low price. I sew every day and this little trooper never lets me down (more than 3 years so far).
Old 05-26-2019, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I bought a 1/4 foot for my vintage featherweight but the machine does not like it. All I get are skipped stitches or birds nests. I went back to Bonnie Hunter's hint for the best seam guide which is a piece of hotel card stuck down either the 3M poster sticker.
One tip I learned from the Feather Weight Shop to eliminate birds nests is to Always hold the tails (top & bobbin thread ends) when beginning to sew a seam. It works like a charm - it eliminated the thread ends getting pulled down into the bobbin assembly. The Featherweight Shop also has other tips to eliminate skipped stitches and birds nests that I've found helpful.

https://singer-featherweight.com/blogs/schoolhouse/troubleshooting-stitch-problems

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-26-2019 at 09:24 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-26-2019, 11:12 AM

I’m surprised Singer doesn’t fire up the factory and resume making FWs in metal that look like the old version. I believe they would sell.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:26 PM

I see that there are a lot of opinions about the 'new' featherweight, some good some not so good. I first saw them at the Madison Quilt Extravaganza a couple of years ago and I was not impressed. The Singer company is not the same as 50 years ago and quality is no longer there. There are some Singers that work well but I have yet to find one that sounds as wonderfully quiet as a vintage FW.

I currently teach all kinds of classes to take care of FWs and I currently own 12 that I have purchased in various conditions and restored them all. One thing about the vintage FWs is that you can work on them yourself and there's no secrets because most anything you need to do can be seen in a video at the featherweight shop.

I just made a FW dust cover last week that had to have 1/4" seams (yes, there are 1/4" feet that work amazingly well), walking foot seams and free motion quilting. The FW 221 doesn't allow you to drop the feed dogs but you can find the sweet spot between forward and backward and cover the feed dog with some painters tape. It works great. Why would you want any other machine? Yes, I own a big Viking with all the bells and whistles but it's the FW that I sew on every day. Here's my dust cover, 100% done on my FW.
Attached Thumbnails 000000cover.jpg