Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Singer sewing machine >

New Singer sewing machine

New Singer sewing machine

Old 10-08-2011, 11:11 AM

I have a Singer Touch and Sew model 600 that I bought 40+ years ago and wouldn't trade it. The fellow who does maintenance on it told me never to get rid of it and don't buy a new one! He cleans it and goes over it once a year for about $35.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:27 AM

I have a Singer Confidence Quilter and it's a great machine to take to classes and workshops. At home I have the Viking Diamond 2 Emroidery machine.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by grammasharon
I have a Singer Touch and Sew model 600 that I bought 40+ years ago and wouldn't trade it. The fellow who does maintenance on it told me never to get rid of it and don't buy a new one! He cleans it and goes over it once a year for about $35.
My sewing machine man says exactly the same.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:15 PM

I received a Singer Quantum 9960 as a gift and am still learning all the tricks of using it. Thanks to Kathy who told me she loved hers. I like several features that my other machines don't have, like the stop/go button, the thread cutter and the threader. Not crazy about the bobbin winder, but that is probably me. Haven't tried all the fancy stitches, but plan to try the quilting stitch soon. I usually hand quilt as I am a klutz at free motion~~~ So far, so good, and the price(free)was right!! They are on sale now too.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:38 PM

I had a singer about 20 years ago and hated it. My sewing machine repair guy told me he used to sell singers many many years ago but would give one away now. Try looking at used machines like janome, elna, viking that have been traded in on upgrades. People upgrade a lot and hardly use the machines they trade in. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B
I may be wrong but I heard somewhere that Singer, Husvarga(sp)and Janome are all made by the same off shore company.....so sad, what do we mfgr in this country nowadays?????hamburgers/fries??????
SVP Corp. owns Singer, Viking and Pfaff but they all still have their own engineering as before. Example, Pfaffs are still German engineered in Germany and Viking in Sweden. Not sure who or what engineers the Singers.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Sandy
I have a Singer Confidence Quilter and it's a great machine to take to classes and workshops. At home I have the Viking Diamond 2 Emroidery machine.
I have the Husqvarna Viking Diamond Deluxe too! It is indeed a true gem! I love it. Also have a Pfaff 2170 which I love as well, plus all of my "old" heavy metal machines; a Pfaff 130, a Pfaff 262, my mother's treadle and my little Frister and Rossman handcrank.

Singer does have a site that lists the serial numbers and gives year manufactured.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:53 PM

My mother had a Singer and traded it in on a Janome as soon as she could. I wouldn't trade my 201 for anything even if it were free!
Old 10-08-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
Old singers get a big thumbs up, have 3. New singers get a huge thumbs down, have 1 and thats 1 too many.

where would you consider the dividing line to be between the old singers and the new singers. My Singer is a 404. Other machines are White, New Home, Janome.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:50 PM

bought several insprations for resale- not the quality they should be