Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A new thing to check when your tension goes wonky >

A new thing to check when your tension goes wonky

A new thing to check when your tension goes wonky

Old 01-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

My Janome 4000 used to have a vertical and horizontal thread holder, however, after one of it's check-ups the bar would not go vertical, which creates some problems from time to time. I do love my Janome, it has served me well all these years. Thankfully, when she needs to go in for a check-up and a check, I have an old Brother that I got for free at the local recycling center and it has always worked well for me in a pinch.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:50 PM

Good tips. Sometimes we don't even think about the thread itself.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
Thread is wound on the spool two ways and depending on how it is wound will dictate whether you put it on a vertical or horizontal spool. If the thread is wound on the spool in a round and round (straight wound or stacked) fashion use a vertical spool. If the thread is wound in a cris cross fashion then use a horizontal spool or a thread holder so the thread comes off the top of the spool when being unwound. My older machines only have a vertical spool spindle but I think when they were made thread only came wound in straight wound fashion.
Here's what I'm talking about. https://auribuzz.wordpress.com/2016/...urifil-spools/
I never knew this, I just always put the thread horizontal as it said but I will try this next time and see what happens. Some sewing thread I use is like that, straight wound. Guess I should try using better thread. Thanks a million, I learn something everyday on here.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:36 AM

I never knew all this good information so thank you Citrus country quilter for the link!

Now, can someone tell me about using the nets? Don't they restrict the thread from coming off the spool? Do you loosen the tension when you use them? And does it still follow the vertical or horizontal use of the spool holder we just learned about in that link? So many questions huh? Sorry.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:42 AM

I got a laugh out it because I too have chased geese when I could have used my brain! It' a mixed batch of humble pie and relief when a big problem turns out to be nothing but an oversight.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Power Poster

The two machines I use all the time have a built in spool holder and a thing that goes up from the thread spool that holds the thread. For regular thread each machine has a cap that holds thread away from any kind of roughness on the spool.