Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Walmart fabrics...the way of the future.... >

New Walmart fabrics...the way of the future....

New Walmart fabrics...the way of the future....

Old 05-14-2011, 04:19 PM

Our Wal-Mart is in a big mess re-doing the store. My only hope is that they decide to keep the shelves stocked. This is the worst Wal-Mart I have ever been in. So I have no idea what the fabric section is going to be like. Right now it's still on the bolt.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:44 PM

Thank goodness the 2 WMs around here that still have fabric are still by the yard I've never stopped at 2yds and I don't see me changing this wonderful habit or is it an addiction -hmm The 2 stores have quilters and management listened to their input
Old 05-14-2011, 06:04 PM

It is always so much fun to go to a new fabric store. We have 3 walmarts but only 1 has a fabric dept. and that one is the farthest about 18 miles. I do like some of the fabric I found there, it on regular bolts, and some pre-cuts. We do have a Joanne's and I do go there quite a bit. I found a quilt shop the other day but also quite a little ways from home but the fabrics there are really nice.:):):)
Old 05-14-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Way more of selection the old way too. There are a few pretty ones, just not alot of selection.
They do have quite a few to choose from on line
Old 05-14-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by K.P.
Our WalMart has had the 2- yard cuts of fabric since they got rid of fabric on bolts, but the manager of tha department told be recently the bolts were coming back; they have received too many complaints, so around Sept. time framethey would be remodling again, and fabric bolts should be back. He also said it would be closer to quilt shop quality fabric than what they previously carried.
Ok Ladies/Gents....here's the ticket....COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, etc to management...evidently someone is listening!!!!

I want better quality fabric, at great prices and on the bolt!!! As we all do!!!
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 05-14-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Way more of selection the old way too. There are a few pretty ones, just not alot of selection.
They do have quite a few to choose from on line
Yes, we do have a lot to choose from online; however, unless it's a 'big name brand', we don't know of the quality unless we feel the fabric, there are a lot of great fabrics out there for cheaper prices and we've come to expect WM to bring us the options in everything!!! Really cheap prices for the top name brands are around $6.00 per yd online and clearance prices elsewhere.....WM can do better!
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 05-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
Our local quilt shop closed a yr ago, never added new fabric, we'd already bought all (little) she offered.

One Walmart closed fabric, the other still offers on bolts & heard we're getting cuts added. Both are newer super stores, both are a 50 mile one way drive for me, nothing local.

In the same town, 3 quilt shops that also offer sewing machines are cutting back fabric, and hanging in there. The only fabric quilt shop, is up for sale. All 4 said fabric prices where going up, avg $8/yr to be $11.50/yd. We also have JoAnns & Hancock & both seem to be cutting back fabric & adding home decor more. Happy we have a stash. Looking forward to Walmart changing. I think we'll always find those who like or don't like Walmart. I appreciate the variety & price selection of chain stores over higher priced quilt shops. My dime don't stretch as far these days with food, gas, & everything else going up too.

You've said it all! Yes, I agree wholeheartedly! Me Too!!!
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 05-14-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by withinaquarterinch
I have purchased a couple of the pre-cut yardage from Wal-mart and the quality is pretty good. I am a bit of an (admitted) fabric snob - so my 'pretty good' could be someone else's 'awesome'.... or not.
I agree with you! I felt the fabric in the 2yd cuts, and it was pretty good and certainly much better than they had before! I'd compare it to LQs fabric easily.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:50 PM

My local WalMart still sells by the yard and now they offer quilting fabrics in co-ordinating prints - VERY NICE!!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Our local Wal-mart still has bolts of fabric in additon to the precuts. Maybe because we are so far from any fabric stores it makes sense for them to have it here.
I'm not sure that is their reasoning, but glad you still have your bolts of fab. Where I live our nearest town with bolts is 85 miles away, and our Wal Mart did away with our Fab. dept after much protest, emailing & phone calls (needless to say was a BIG waste of time for nothing). They did put in some precut fabs. pkged. but they are weird pieces of fab. I prefer bolts so I can get what I need more or less than a 2 yard cut, and have a large variety to choose from.
I guess this will be a never ending saga with Wal Mart and their Fabric Departments. For all of us who sew here we have to travel the 85 miles to get what we need. What angers all of us, Wal Mart came in and drove all of the home owned stores out of business and now they have a very poor selection of anything even after remodeling - more junk than anything else. We have no place else to shop and it is really disgusting.