Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie with a fabric buying question... >

Newbie with a fabric buying question...

Newbie with a fabric buying question...

Old 08-01-2010, 01:51 PM

If it was me I would Buy stash. 1yd or more of ones I love. Also get some tone on tone colors. some fat 1/4s too.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:55 PM

I buy fabrics i like and as much as i can afford to buy! Happy shopping :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-01-2010, 02:02 PM

I'd say find a pattern and then go from there. Perhaps find a print you just love for a focus fabric, then choose other colored prints that go with that focus fabric.
If buying just to increase your stash, I think it depends on what the fabric might be used for: borders generally need more than a yard, like several, but maybe a yard would be enough if you're making a smaller project, like a lap quilt. One Block Wonders need 6 repeats of the print. The yardage would depend on how long the repeat is. If you can't decide on a pattern, then I'd just look for fabrics you love, for whatever reason and then buy 1 1/2 to 3 yards. I generally do not buy fat quarters, but get 1/4 yard instead. Have Fun!
Old 08-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned

If I were buying for future quilts and the quilt might be a queen size and I judge there would be 3 fabrics in the quilt (think rail fence) then I would do the following estimate.
Queen size is 90x108" or there about. This is two widths and 3 yds long. Or 6 yds of fabric. Say the pattern is simple I would add 2-3 yds for seam allowances which makes 9 yds.
9 yds using prints is 3 yds each.
For lap size I usually buy 1 1/2 yds of 3-4 prints for the tops and then additional for backing.
If you don't have a specific design in mind you just have to "gut feeling" the amount you will need. You say you are going to lancaster Pa. Do you visit Sauders which is north in Denver.
Pa. Have you been there. If not, you should go. It is not far north of Lancaster.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:34 PM

I often purchase "what floats my boat" so to speak. If I know that friends are having babies or if there is something special that might be coming up, I buy for that - otherwise I buy what strikes me. For me that is small prints, batiks and holiday. If there is an accompanying fabric that I like I buy that as well.

I always purchase at least 2 - 3 yds if I really like it.

Hope you have a great day out shopping!
Old 08-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!
I buy fabrics that I like and that speak to me. I rarely ever have a "plan" for them at the time of purchase.
Every one has great ideas.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:11 PM

If you have time, go on a search for free patterns on the internet, maybe you can find one you like, down load and know what you should buy for it.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:22 PM

Thank you, everyone for your great advice, unfortunately, something has come up and we have to postpone our road trip. Its just as well, until I can get a better idea of exactly what I want to be looking for.

Now to get started on some of my unfinished projects, I have a few questions on that I'll be very busy asking on this forum that I just discovered. I've been spending so much reading everything I'll never get anything done....
Old 08-01-2010, 06:35 PM

I usually buy the fabric that jumps out at me and says, "Take me home, I'm the one!" When that happens I usually buy 2-3 yds and if there are coordinating fabrics that I like I get them right away too because with my luck they will be gone when I go looking again. That being said, I rarely pay full price for fabric. I have found great fabric online through many of my favorite sources. I also buy the Quilt of the Month collections from Walmart. I have found very nice fabric at Hancock Fabrics, Hobby Lobby and Jo-Ann Fabrics as well and always wait for a sale or coupon. Of course if I were taking a road trip to Lancaster or anywhere else I would definitely check out as many quilt shops/fabric stores as possible, especially if my DH was offering. In fact I would have it all mapped out in advance if possible :) I hope you get to take your trip soon!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

When I go fabric shopping I look for what calls to me and buy at least two yards of it. If it yells at me I'll buy three yards. Once in a while I have to make myself buy solids and blenders. They don't call to me but I need them. Just look for what you like.