Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie- Have basic questions. Please help! >

Newbie- Have basic questions. Please help!

Newbie- Have basic questions. Please help!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:45 PM

1) Are you sewing on a zigzag machine? The wider hole on a ZZ tends to 'eat' fabric when you start sewing. Is there a straight stitch foot available for your machine? That would help. My granddaughter used leaders and enders when she made a quilt with a ZZ machine and never had a problem. Start your first stitches at the edge of the fabric.

2) Sew a stitch or two off the fabric, lift the presser foot and the fabric should pull away without a problem. If you meet any resistance, turn the hand wheel on the machine a 1/4 turn.

3) I like a screw on metal accessory sold at the quilt store for my 1/4" seams.

Welcome to the wonderful of quilting.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 PM

About back stitching - if you are sewing large stitches, then backspace. Larger stitches loosen and come apart easier during the piecing process. Smaller stitches hold together much better during all the handling that goes on when piecing. And, as all of us know, quilts get more 'handling' while you're learning about your machine and the quilting process.

Check online or at a quilting store to find out if there is a quilting guild near you. The guilds I belong to have quilters of all levels; the more experienced quilters are always willing to help the less experienced (like me).

Good luck on your new hobby.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

I set my sewing machine to sew about 12 stitches to the inch for most piecing - the setting is 2.5 on my Pfaff.

When sewing pieces together, I leave about two 'air' stitches on each the end of each sewn together unit
- this seems to minimize pulling apart.

I never backstitch when piecing. If I'm concerned about something coming apart, I tie a knot at the end of each seam.

When doing strip piecing, I shorten the stitch length to about 14 stitches to the inch (2.0 on machines that are set that way)
Old 10-24-2012, 06:37 PM

Paydapigg2 you are in for the beginning of a great adventure! Whatever quilt yu decide to start on and whatever size make it something you love and you'll finish it in style. Remember this is not a race so enjoy the process.

There are many ways to make a quilt. No one way is correct.

Leaders, enders, spiders are all the same idea: a double thickness of material at the beginning of your sewing and at the end.

A single holed throat plate is best for piecing or straight sewing. Fabric doesn't inadvertently bunch up in the throat plate hole this way. Using the leaders, spiders also help with this. The wider holed throat plate is for the fancier stitches.

I personally have a 1/4" foot with a flange for quilting. The flange is a metal edge on the sewing machine foot that makes it easier for me to guide my fabric and maintain a consistent seam allowance. Most of my friends just use a plain 1/4" foot [without the flange.] Use what works for you best.

Only my old 1950's Singer would ever overwind a bobbin. Give your bobbin winder a try and see. Overwinding may not be a problem with your machine. If the tread goes beyond the edges of the bobbin then the bobbin is overwound.

Look forward to hearing of your progress. PM's are always welcome.

ali
Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 PM

You're not trying to quilt your 750 quilt are you? You didn't explain really good. Start on something small, draw lines on it and start sewing. Look at it, and do another one. Or just make line after line until you get used to the machines, or your fabric.