Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
newbie needs to cover electrical box >

newbie needs to cover electrical box

newbie needs to cover electrical box

Old 07-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

But, it's just me, I wouldn't stand in front of a breaker box long enough to paint it. But it's better then any covering if you really want to change the look.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Do you mean a breaker box? It shouldn't be on a wall where people can be near it. Breaker boxes can explode. That's why they are always in a utility room or garage. Never stand in front on one when flipping a breaker, stand to one side. (I use to work for an electrical generating plant). I taught my kids never to flip a breaker standing in front of the box.
Yikes. I had no idea. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
One thing to consider, if the breaker box does explode or spark enough, is anything in front of it catches on fire then the fire will spread. All breaker boxes have metal doors that need to be kept closed and latched. Check you homeowners ins. Many will not cover electrical fire damage if it is proven to be owner's negligence, box not approved, wrong location, not state licensed electrician installed, and many other factors. You don't need to hear that after an electrical fire! Home safety is number one on my list.
We have a parkmodel, 12x30 trailerhouse that we live in during the summer months. It's not that old and the breaker box is level with our bed right along side of it. And it doesn't have a cover, just a door covering it in the same wood as our cupboards. It came right from the factory like that so I don't know if the laws have changed or what but it was up to code when we bought it.
We just had an electrician here a couple weeks ago to do some work and he didn't say anything about it, he works on alot of parkmodels and I'm sure there are lots of them just like ours.
So I don't know what to think now. Maybe I'll check with some of our neighbors that have new homes and see how there's are.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Power Poster

I'm guessing mobile homes have different codes to go by. There are probably safeguards in place from the outside line to the mobile home.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:50 PM

That sounds like a possibility. Thanks