Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie Question: How worried should I be about 1/4-inch? >

Newbie Question: How worried should I be about 1/4-inch?

Newbie Question: How worried should I be about 1/4-inch?

Old 04-25-2011, 04:17 AM

I don't throw anything away. For such a small block, use the seam ripper & redo the 1/4" seam. Yes, 1/4" seams really matter if you want all your blocks to line up.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:18 AM

Seam allowance is extremely important for your quilt to be
completed accurately. Make another block.
Less headaches further into the quilt you go.
Making another block is better than redoing it. Taking a block apart stretches out the fabric and the block will never be right because of the distortion from ripping out the seams.
It will probably take less time to make a new block than it would take to rip all the seams out.
Make sure you cut the pieces correctly, many times a block is not the correct size because the pieces weren't cut correctly to begin with.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:21 AM

I have started cutting my pices an 1/8th of a inch larger then called for because of coming up small
Old 04-25-2011, 04:55 AM

I agree accurancy is the most important part - a little off here and there can add up to big differences later - I would remake the block if you have enough fabric - good luck
Old 04-25-2011, 04:59 AM

Use it as the label on the back of the quilt.[/quote]

This is what I'd use it for if you can't figure out where the problem is!
Old 04-25-2011, 05:10 AM

accuracy is a most importnat the 1/4 in or the scant sometimes is called for. Just practice... remember the more seams in a blk the more off it will be when finished... if to big a seams it will be to small. or to big if you are stitchint to little
ConnieF
Old 04-25-2011, 05:45 AM

When you get more experienced you generally can figure out how to fudge one block that is short but at first I wouldn't try to do it. And if there are several blocks off but the time you get to the end of that row, you could have major trouble, it could make that row inches shorter than the next row. A good way to keep things precise is with the use of sashing between the blocks. Then you can square them all up to the same size and 1/4 isn't all that noticeable. But not all patterns would allow the use of sashing. Accuracy is the key to having things go together smoothly and it is one we are struggle with. Try taking the block apart and putting it back together.Sometimes you can join the last tow or three in a row with a scant 1/4 inch between them make it work..
Old 04-25-2011, 06:03 AM

It is very important. I have learned from experience. If you watch your seam allowances and how you cut your pieces closely they your top will just fit together perfectly. Otherwise you may be ripping out and redoing alot.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by JenelTX
Finally! I started my first quilt today. (I forced myself to wait until I had finished another project.) What a fun day! I cut strips and made 22 blocks with 9 squares in each. They're supposed to measure 4.25 x 4.25 inches, and they all do... except one. That one is 4.25 x 4 inches, maybe a little bit less.

I think I'm just going to throw it away and make a new one, but I wanted to ask more experienced quilters how much I should worry about a quarter inch. Do you normally throw away a block that's off by that much (smaller)? If not, how do you compensate for the shortfall?

Next weekend... pinwheels!!! :)
My friend always tells me..... either rip it & fix it, or make it into a Mug Rug; Pot holder; or put it in your orphan block pile - add sashing & add it to a sampler quilt. If all else fails, grandkids love orphan blocks for their design wall. lol
Old 04-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Mary Ellen Hopkins - and several other authors - suggest doing a test with several strips of fabric to see how your cutting and sewing "measures up"

I cut strips with a rotary ruler - they end up being a smidge wider than if I cut strips with the June Tailor shape cutter.

I use "my" 1/4 inch way of sewing.

Anyway - the "test/sample" goes like this:

For example:

Cut three strips of fabric 2.5 inches wide by 6.5 inches long.
Sew them together with "your" 1/4 inch seam.
Press
Measure - the "expected" size of the unit is 6.5 x 6.5 inches

It is another of those "prep" steps that saves one HOURS of time and aggravation later.

On your "off" block - if all your other blocks are the correct size, you might have cut something wrong on the off/odd one -