Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie Question: How worried should I be about 1/4-inch? >

Newbie Question: How worried should I be about 1/4-inch?

Newbie Question: How worried should I be about 1/4-inch?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

double post
Old 04-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Save the block for something else. That is a lot to try to fudge, simply not worth the grief later on. At this point it is much easier to just remake it or make a new one.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:07 AM

If you want the blocks to be consistent your pieces do need to be cut accurately. Your seam allowance should also be consistent, 1/4 inch or something close which is called your personal seam allowance. Believe me it is easier to do it correctly @ first so you don't have the aggravation of trying to make things fit together correctly. (Ask me how I know!)
Originally Posted by JenelTX
Finally! I started my first quilt today. (I forced myself to wait until I had finished another project.) What a fun day! I cut strips and made 22 blocks with 9 squares in each. They're supposed to measure 4.25 x 4.25 inches, and they all do... except one. That one is 4.25 x 4 inches, maybe a little bit less.

I think I'm just going to throw it away and make a new one, but I wanted to ask more experienced quilters how much I should worry about a quarter inch. Do you normally throw away a block that's off by that much (smaller)? If not, how do you compensate for the shortfall?

Next weekend... pinwheels!!! :)
:D
Old 04-25-2011, 10:13 AM

Jenel.. First off - con gratulations are in order - you have stepped into a world of beauty and fun and comfort and friendship - not to mention adddictions to fabric and thread and tools and rulers and blades and .. oh, OH got off topic there!
Often you will see the instruction to sew a "scant 1/4" seam. That means be sure you don't make the seam more than 1/4, a thread width less is SCANT .. as seams are sewn in, fabric literally disappears! When the seamed fabric is folded over for pressing - there is fabric thread in there that goes with the seam, and makes the block surface smaller if you made that seam a fat 1/4". A specialty foot called a 1/4", or piecing, foot is a great help, but be sure if you use one, sew several practice seams so you know exactly where that 1/4" lies. If the foot edge gives a bit or isn't straight up and down you need to know that and if necessary make adjustments.
If each seam is off by 1/8" - at the end of 8 blocks guess how much shorter that made the row of blocks!
I drew a line 1/4 on a piece of stiff paper, put that paper edge in my machine and sewed with an unthreaded needle. One foot the holes were ecactly on my drawn line, the other foot it was slightly on the edge of my line. I changed it to another machine and it was fine.
Be sure to finish a project on the same machine you started with - all machines are not all the same.
Now go have fun :)
Old 04-25-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
At first I worried more about consistancy of my seam allowances than I did exactly what measurement they were. Consistancy is far more important.

As for the one block, don't throw it away. Rip it apart, figure out where your error was and fix it. It may have been in cutting, it may have been in stitching.

We learn by ripping :)
I concur. Be consistent. All sewing machines vary somewhat. Determine your machine's 1/4" and sew. Fabric is forgiving.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:10 PM

How worried. Very much. It can amke all the difference if it is off. Save yourself some grief & cut a new one.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 PM

Just pull or pinch or steam the block and usually it will fit.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Rather then throw it away, I remove the stitching, press and recheck the pieces size and then resew. Sometimes one block will have extra large seams. As close as you can be accurate the better your blocks will fit together.:)
i agree with this it will show you where you went wrong seam allowance or cutting
Old 04-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Many years ago Our newly formed quilt guild decided to make a thank you quilt. Mostly we were newbies, and with great enthusiasm everybody made several blocks. When I finally cpllected them all, and brought them home to assemble, I discovered that I had TWO sets of blocks. One set with larger than 1/4 inch seams - and one set with smaller than 1/4 inch seams.
I has so many blocks that we ended up with 2 quilts! So we had one quilt for a thank you and the other for our first raffle quilt. But there was a definite difference in the finished size of the two quilts!
It was an interesting lesson.
But it was such fun too!
J
Old 04-25-2011, 05:20 PM

A ¼" is very important, if it's not cut right the whole block will be off. I would say cut another one, you'll be glad you did. :-)