Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie Question - single vs double fold binding & bias >

Newbie Question - single vs double fold binding & bias

Newbie Question - single vs double fold binding & bias

Old 08-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
If you are talking about recutting fabric strips for the pad with the rounded corners, then you probably mean you want to cut the new fabric on the bias for the binding.

The fold types can be confusing.

With quilts, almost everyone folds the fabric in half, sews the cut edges to the quilt, then turns the strip to sew it down on the other side. This creates *two* layers of fabric in the binding. Bindings are subjected to the most wear on a quilt, so having two layers of fabric in the binding helps the edge last longer. This is called "French fold" or "double fold" binding.

Often other types of sewing call for fabric that has two folds (cut edges towards the middle) for binding. This is what you see in bias tape. It is actually called "single fold" (have not looked this up to see why). Something like your changing pad with rounded corners (and potholders) often call for this type of binding because it is cut on the bias and has a *lot* of stretch in the middle -- which is where you need it when sewing rounded corners, at what will be the outside edge of the rounded corner. The folds make the edges more stable, but the single layer of bias fabric in the middle gets to stretch a *lot*. This is very helpful on, say, potholders where you need enormous stretch around tight rounded corners.

Connecting Threads has a series of tutorials on binding you might want to check out:
http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...tutorials.html
French fold and double fold binding are not the same. French fold is folded in half in the center and both raw edges are sewn to the edge of the quilt. Double fold is single layer, folded in half with both raw edges folded to the center. If you go to the store and buy double fold binding you will not get binding that will be two layers thick.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:42 PM

Is the changing pad just a single piece of fabric? Is it pieced? Will it have a solid back? When I do receiving blankets with rounded corners (2 layers thicK), I do an envelop style finish.

Here is what I do: Finish the top and quilt it to the batting (for receiving blankets I do not use batting), but not the backing fabric. Cut the backing fabric to exactly fit the top and batting. Place the back on the quilt top, right sides together and stitch a 1/2" seam around the 4 sides -- depending on the size of the quilt leave a 10" or larger opening since you will be pulling the quilt through the hole. Trim the seams by cutting away any uneven fabric or batting. Clip the corners by trimming off a little triangle. Do not cut through the stitching. Turn the quilt right-side-out, then press so the backing is not visible from the front. Fold and press the open edges inward a 1/2". Glue the opening edges together. Top stitch 1/4" from the edge to secure. If you want to secure the back to the quilt you can tack it or do a bit more quilting. I have also spray basted the batting to the top instead of quilting it, stitched and turned the quilt, finished the edges by stitching and either tied or quilted the quilt at that point.

I like this finish for quilts that are going to be used very hard.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
French fold and double fold binding are not the same. French fold is folded in half in the center and both raw edges are sewn to the edge of the quilt. Double fold is single layer, folded in half with both raw edges folded to the center. If you go to the store and buy double fold binding you will not get binding that will be two layers thick.
The Connecting Threads tutorial on binding (part 1) says that French fold is double fold binding. Doesn't make sense to me, especially with their accompanying diagram, but I figured they would know the correct terminology. Here is the website:
http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...tion__D98.html
Old 08-20-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
The Connecting Threads tutorial on binding (part 1) says that French fold is double fold binding. Doesn't make sense to me, especially with their accompanying diagram, but I figured they would know the correct terminology. Here is the website:
http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...tion__D98.html
I used to have a web page that had diagrams of the three types of binding. It's on my other computer and I don't remember what search terms I used to find it the first time.

Their diagram is double fold binding but not French fold.

I think a big part of the confusion over the terms are from people that only sew quilts and didn't necessarily learn proper terms for sewing things from garment construction.

Found it! http://www.sewing.org/html/biasbinding.html

Last edited by Scissor Queen; 08-20-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I think a big part of the confusion over the terms are from people that only sew quilts and didn't necessarily learn proper terms for sewing things from garment construction.
I'm sure that's true. I just wish the commercial quilting sites would get it right!

Last edited by Prism99; 08-21-2013 at 09:02 AM.