Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie Question >

Newbie Question

Newbie Question

Old 05-28-2010, 07:58 AM

If there is going to be a lot of bulk I definitely press my seams open. And I've been pressing them open a lot lately even if there isn't a lot of bulk. I think it helps seams match better and if you're sewing by machine the seams aren't going to pull apart. If you're making stars or something that has lots of points coming together, definitely press them open, it helps the whole thing lay flatter and it makes a much prettier point.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by HapaMom
Originally Posted by Shibori
pressing seams is a little like putting together a puzzle. It's helpful to stop and assess when joining blocks if you need to press something one way or another to get them to nestle where they come together in intersections.
Shibori (is that Japanese?) STOP?! I'm supposed to STOP and look at something? OMG!!!! I can't do that when I'm onna roll or in the zone! :lol: Just kidding, being facetious.
If you find that you should had pressed your seam the other way, you can change your mind. Just repress with your seam straight to start over. Then press the seam to the direction you want. The repressed seam won't be as flat as the first time but it will still work. Sometimes I would spritz it with a little water to get the seam to lay flat.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:04 PM

Here are some good articles:
http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...SeamsOpen.html
http://www.scrapquilts.com/pressing.html
http://quilting.about.com/od/pressin...ess_blocks.htm
http://video.about.com/quilting/Nest...uilt-Seams.htm

If you want more on this subject (or any other) just google it. I googled "pressing quilt seams".
Old 05-28-2010, 08:00 PM

If I press to the dark side, I use a scant 1/4" seam to allow for the pressing, If I plan to press them open, I can get by with a regular 1/4" seam.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:03 AM

I press the seams to the side that has the least amount of seams. Sometimes I have to repress to get a good nesting point, but generally I press all ways depending on the quilt.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Banned

thank you for the information. God bless. Penny
Old 05-30-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mandie
I used to always press mine open until a quilting instructor told me that it puts strain on the stitch an may cause it to wear faster. I am not sure if that is true or not but to be on the safe side I now usually press to the darker side unless it causes to much bulk.
I too was told at my first quilting lesson (20+ years ago) that ALL seams should be pressed to the dark side. Then I looked at every pair of slacks I owned and saw that the seams were pressed OPEN, including the back seams! Now tell me, what seam get as much strain as the seam on the seat of slacks? Open seams are easier to sew together; easier to lay flat and easier to quilt (equal bulk)...but, to each her own...we all do what we think best!