Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie Question >

Newbie Question

Newbie Question

Old 05-25-2010, 01:38 PM

Okay, so I've looked allll OVER this board and still haven't even put a dent in it in the last 2 days since I've joined so forgive me if this has already been addressed and please direct me to the correct thread (NPI *snort*) :roll: :lol:

I was wondering, if this is a preference thing or if it makes for more accurate quilting? When you press your seams ... if you even do that at all ... do you press them open or press them to the "dark side"? and, shouldn't it be consistent throughout my entire quilt, either open or to the dark side?

Mahalo for your kokua (thank you for your help)!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Pressing only to the dark, can make for bulky seams in some areas. I try to press so that at the intersections they go in opposite directions, they call this "nesting" the seams together.

Pressing them open eliminates bulk, and really helps like in OBW's (hexagon blocks)

Some blocks I press to the side and then when I put the two halves together, I press that seam open, to eliminate bulk.

Other blocks that have seams going in a circular direction, you may want to press your seams that way too.

Many patterns will give you directions now on which direction to press them :D:D:D

Using the search feature at the top of the page, typing in Pressing will bring up a LOT of topics on this :D:D:D
Old 05-25-2010, 01:47 PM

Thank you so much, Amma, but now my head is spinning! :shock: Have to re-read this like 50 times to get it! :roll: :? :lol:

I'll definitely do the search now :lol:
Old 05-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

Nearly all my seams are pressed to the dark side. The only time I press open seams is if there a lot of seams intersecting in one area.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM

Uhhhhh ... that's where I get lost ... how do I know while I'm putting a block together, where it's going to be the "busiest" until after I'm done? ... such a Newbie, I know :lol:

WOW! I found a lot of Pressing threads from the search! :thumbup:
Old 05-25-2010, 01:59 PM

I used to always press mine open until a quilting instructor told me that it puts strain on the stitch an may cause it to wear faster. I am not sure if that is true or not but to be on the safe side I now usually press to the darker side unless it causes to much bulk.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:00 PM

Good! Let us know if we can help some more! There are no "Pressing Seams" police. Whatever way it seems (no pun intended) to want to go and for the least bulk is "correct". Originally I also learned *only* to the dark side but then I strayed to whatever you like and it works for me.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:24 PM

pressing seams is a little like putting together a puzzle. It's helpful to stop and assess when joining blocks if you need to press something one way or another to get them to nestle where they come together in intersections.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:27 PM

I press to the dark side. If you are making stars I press open (easier to sew and quilt) an sometimes u have to use your judgement on which way to press.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

I usually press to the darker side but as was already stated that is not always feasible. The one time that I would avoid open seams is when I stitch in the ditch. I was told that it weakens the thread. No proof that this is true.