Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie Quilter Needs Your Input & Recomendations Desperately!! >

Newbie Quilter Needs Your Input & Recomendations Desperately!!

Newbie Quilter Needs Your Input & Recomendations Desperately!!

Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 PM

I have 7 Singer 301's and a Viking, which is collecting dust. If you don't have alot of money, this machine is a workhorse! The feed dogs drop, it's portable, it's very easy to maintain. It has a slant shank which means the throat plate is very close to the edge of the machine, so you can see very clearly what you are doing. If you are a taller person, the slant shank is a must. You can get one in great condition with attachments for under 100.00
Old 06-18-2010, 02:37 PM

I have the babylock elure plus (embroidery machine) This is my second one, I upgraded & gave the other to my daughter. I am real pleased with Babylock.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:22 PM

I have 2 Babylocks and have had no trouble. They have not been tempermental at all. I have the Espire and the Ellure Plus. I also have a Singer Freatherweight (black). I will take anyone of them to classes depending on what I am doing.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:27 PM

Not all Vikings are expensive. The Emerald 116 and 118 are mechanical machines and are great for beginners as well as more experienced sewists. I like the Pfaffs with the IDT(full time walking foot); I have an old Pfaff 1222E and it has the IDT, if it weren't so danged heavy it would be a take to class machine.
I also like the Singer Featherweight, but not the new Singers(not living up to the
Singer name IMHO). I also have 2 older Berninas, the 930 and 1031. The only new machine I have is the Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 875. Its got a nearly 10" throat and does free motion quilting and walking foot quilting great. I love it! Its also great for garment sewing and makes fabulous buttonholes.
You really need to take your fabrics and threads and go test drive several different brands. A good machine dealer is great to have so you can learn your new machine and answer any questions.
Sharon W.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:30 PM

I think sometimes my opinion of a machine is colored by the dealer so to speak. It is good to hear about some of these machines. When I went in to test drives machines for my daughter, I had to teach a dealer how to use their own machine (they couldn't make it do a buttonhole and thought the machine was broken). Needless to say, I decided to quit looking at that particular brand because the person who was going to do warranty/repair didn't know how the machine worked. I might have excused it if the machine had been a new model, but it wasn't.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:31 PM

My Mom had a Singer touch and throw. OMG I hated that machine!!! I'm suprised I'm still sewing after that.
Originally Posted by dixiechunk
Reminds me of an old Singer model called the touch 'n sew. If you got a good one it was great, not so much if you got a lemon, then you called it the touch 'n jam. Fortunately, my grandmother had a great one, I learned to sew on it. If she'd had a lemon I probably would have given up.

Originally Posted by CherylR
Sharon B
I eliminated the 6000 because of the reviews by owners. I did see some reviews that praised the machine, but most of the others were having a lot of problems with "clunky noises" after 2-3 projects and not being able to get someone to figure it out. They also said that the thread gets all bunched and tangled up. From what I've read on the 6000 - it's either feast or famine. They either have absolutely no problems out of it and wouldn't trade it for anything and the others hate it because of the noises and thread and jamming problems. Thanks so much for your input!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:34 PM

A great place to test drive lots of different brands of machines is a larger quilt show. I am lucky enough to attend the International Quilt Festival in Houston,Texas every year.
All the major machine dealers are there and you can test drive any or all of them.
Sharon W.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:39 PM

...bought my daughter a Janome (DC2010, try it you might like it, the price was hard to beat),
That is the machine I have and I love it! Price-wise it was a really good deal!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:40 PM

Oh! That was my first machine too. I love the "Touch and Throw" description. It was enough to lose your religion over. When I got married and my mother-in-law saw that machine almost run, she told me that I needed a new one ASAP. I can still see her look of horror as I cut the fabric off the plate.

I learned a lot from that experience. Never, ever let someone else pick your machine for you. Someone told my parents that this would be a good one because of brand reputation. This is one of those "should never have happened" piece of engineering as far as I am concerned.

Try to always test the exact machine you are walking away with because there is the occassional blooper in any brand.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:42 PM

A friend of mine had a Touch and Throw, that flung its cams out on a regular basis. She said that sewing shouldn't be that exciting. rofl
Sharon