Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For newbies - and perhaps some not-so-new quilters, too >

For newbies - and perhaps some not-so-new quilters, too

For newbies - and perhaps some not-so-new quilters, too

Old 06-26-2018, 05:51 AM

When I started quilting in the mid-80's, I thought I needed almost everything! Now I am much more selective in what I buy and am very careful as to what I recommend to my quilting students also.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:12 AM

When I was a new quilter, I just loved to see all the demo's and "stuff" available at the Paducah show - 6 years later I mostly just walk on by. I was subject to buying some things, but I have never been interested in "single taskers" much -so have always avoided anything with templates or most specialty rulers. I still love gadgets and am always on the lookout for the next best thing. It's all part of the fun of quilting and sewing for me.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
I love gadgets. I sometimes get overwhelmed at quilt shows when viewing the venders' booths filled with all the latest and greatest. I get caught up in the moment as the gadget is being demoed..and want it right then. I have learned over the years to walk away and think about it first. Then if I really want it or can remember where I saw it, then I would enjoy having it. )
Same here! I’ve been quilting less than a year and have so many rulers and gadgets that I don’t use or maybe used once. I think I have to buy every little thing. I have since cut back on the spending because of course I want a die cutting machine, a fancy embroidery machine and a serger but they are quite expensive and I don’t t have the room so I guess I’ll just buy more fabric!
Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 AM

Goatgirl you might want to start a new thread with your question. Just a thought.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:30 AM

I love gadgets and gizmos! Anything that might make whatever task easier, more accurate, whatever. Not only in quilting, but in other segments of my life......some work well others not!