Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: the next time I want to do a quilt using denim... slap me

Power Poster
    Denim is a challenge for sure. I try to stagger my seams so the you don't have the bulk of seams meeting, like in a brick pattern. The one where you leave the seams exposed and let them fray is a good one too. I made a couple of them years ago and that was more than enough!

I use a jean needle and a walking foot too. the Janome that I got 2 years ago really helps. I am always looking for jeans, no stretch though.

I've posted a picture of my denim quilt, it was just squares and I think it came out great. It would fit a queen size bed easily and I love the fact that I didn't cost me anything except for the backing because I cut up old jeans. Not sure if you can still see it, let me know and if you're interested I'll repost it

Blog Entries
    Oh no, not good. I was at the thrift store and found 5 yards of denim for $3.00. Yep, I bought it.

I just gave two rows of denim squares, plus a half a trash bag of cut squares, plus six trimmed pairs of jeans to the Ladies of Charity. Someone else can do it.

I have not made a denim quilt, but I just made some denim pot holders with a double binding, and it was stressful to say the least to get that binding folded over to the back to be stitched down.

Yep, I know what you are feeling. I am in the middle of making a denim rag quilt, queen size no less and hopefully dog proof. It is becoming a test of endurance because it is becoming very heavy. But I did buy some fabric snips to cut the seam allowances. Sure makes that process easier.

Fabric snips
    Name:  Attachment-271465.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  23.7 KB

I made a denim rag quilt for my grandson and had no problems. I backed it with a homespun fabric. Clipped the seams and washed and frayed. It is one of my favorite quilts. It was heavy and bulky to work with.

Have you ever seen Margaret Islander sew two different lengths of fabric together and have them come out equal? I don't know if that's on UTube anywhere, but if it is, you should watch it. It shows you how to be in control of the fabrics, not have them control you. Also, with some fabrics, you want to lighten up on the presser foot to keep it from stretching your fabric.

darn, and here i was thinking i wanted to try one. . .guess not, lol.

I made a denim quilt several years ago. It had a few pieces
    of jeans, but I had made previously a number of dresses out
    of regular denim weight fabric. Each piece had a different
    look, but even had a few pieces of striped coveralls in there. It turned out fine. When it went in our guild's quilt show, they had a lady from out of town judging and
    she could not believe I had hand quilted it, with regular
    fabric backing and batting. I did it, but it wasn't easy!!

I made it up as I went along and I honestly had no problem except working with denim is kind of messy. I actually had fun
    Attached Images Attached Images

when I made my denim quilts I did six in blocks and off set the next row so I would not have that bulky seam. It work for me and my girls love theirs. I did a batt and a fabric of their choice on the back side

sept97
    Love your jean quilt. that is so beautiful.

I have made a cuple denim quilts, just small ones. I since have been saving them to make rugs, Old jeans make the BEST rugs!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barri1
    I can relate to being out of mind making denim quilts... I just finished two.. Wonky is the word tp describe them.. Not again!!!!
    Barri
    denim has a mind of its own,its easier to let it have its way.. Barri tell me your furbaby isn't using a cigerette holder like some hunky Frenchmen

:-)

I cut 8-1/2" squares this past winter out of an old jeans stash and, alternating squares with a colorful brushed denim-like fabric that I'd had for years, I had exactly enough of both types of fabric to make a lap-sized rag quilt for DH. At the time, he was having and then recovering from open heart surgery & subsequent complications. It's absolutely amazing to me that I had exactly enough of both denim (in a variety of weights & shades of blue) and the colorful mystery fabric to make the quilt; if I had needed even one more square of either fabric, I would have been in trouble. We are a family of 5 and there is denim in that quilt from jeans worn by each of us over the last 30 years. For a variety of reasons, I'm pleased with the quilt, but have no desire to ever sew any more denim.

Sept97, Your denim quilt is WOW!

I have made over 100 Denim QUilts for Operation Quiet Comfort for our Wounded Warriors. The right needle, tension and some patience and it works out fine.

Use fleece for the backing- warm without much weight.

Anyone have 100% COTTON BLUE JEANS they don't want? Contact me. I'll take them.

Susan
    NJ

I have a rag quilt cut from denim and flannel in a box in my sewing room. I should say blocks for a rag quilt. I can't seem to get the urge to put it together. It is just too heavy to be comfortable moving through the machine. I guess my DGS will be a senior in high school before he gets it!

Denim is so hard, I did a rag rug in denim and it worked, but very, very heavy. I would not use denim in a quilt again. Mine was a long lap quilt.

I want to make a denim quilt and have sewed with denim for other things and don't find it that difficult.

I hear you and I agree with you!

Blog Entries
    I made a king size denim and bandana fabric quilt for my son. Had to do it in halves and quilt it one half at the time because of the weight and then put the two halves together. It was exactly what he wanted but never again.
    The weight was what bothered me the most. I didn't think putting it together was any different than a regular quilt, but I did use 1/2 inch seams and press open because the denim ravels so badly.

Anyone working with denim to make quilts - I would love to have the pockets. Just the pockets if anyone has some laying around. Will trade for Pay-Pal cash, Fabric or Easy Core Storage Boards.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast