Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Niagra Nobn-aerosol spray starch >

Niagra Nobn-aerosol spray starch

Niagra Nobn-aerosol spray starch

Old 07-08-2011, 07:41 PM

I just love it
Old 07-08-2011, 09:56 PM

question please....how do you use spray starch when quilting.??When. why. Still learning smile
Old 07-08-2011, 10:07 PM

I want to try this!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I still get flaking with this. Nothing like usual starch though. What settings are u using?
I use the cotton setting on my iron (sorry, I don't know what temp that is) with steam.

It's unlikely to be the setting on your iron, though. Flaking is almost always caused by not giving the spray a chance to absorb into the fabric before pressing/ironing. Depending on many variables, the time required is anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 minutes.

Variables include how tightly spun the threads the fabric is woven from, how tightly woven the fabric is, whether your washing machine removes all the detergent from the fabric (leaving a trace amount of detergent in often helps starch soak in faster), etc. Tightness of weave includes both the thread count and the size of the thread woven; a 50x60 fabric can be more tightly woven than a 100x120 fabric if the lower thread count fabric was woven with thicker thread. Over time and much starching, you get to the point where your guesstimate of how long to let the starch soak in becomes quite accurate.

One trick is to spray the fabric, then roll it up, squoosh it a few times, then lay it out for pressing/ironing.

If you're in a hurry and can't or don't want to wait, what usually works is to do the ironing in steps. The first step is to run the iron over the top of the fabric, just barely touching the top of the wrinkles, to get the fabric hot. Then you run over the same area again, lightly touching the iron down. And finally, iron at the normal pressure to give the final finish to the fabric.

If you want a really heavy starch, wring the fabric out in the starch solution and throw it in the dryer (in a lingerie bag if ravelling threads bother you). It will come out of the dryer horribly wrinkled and hard but when you hit it with the steam, it will smooth out like magic. And no sticking or flaking!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
And dumb me bought some cheap stuff the other day and it clumps when it sprays out. Not a steady spray. (already this morning!)
Not to worry! Spray and let it be as clumpy as it wants.

Then roll up the fabric or fold it, give it a few good squooshes or leave it alone for a half hour or so. The clumps will all even out.

A trick from my teen years is to spray whatever you know you'll want to iron within the next week or so, put it in a plastic bag and stick it in the fridge. It will keep just iine in there and be ready to iron when you are.

If you think you may leave it more than a week, better to put it in the freezer. It may start growing stuff if left in the refrigerator more than a week (starch is pure carbohydrate). I'm sure you can guess how I know this!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Would love to use non-aerosol cans - problem is allergies - have to use unscented detergent and fabreeze (sp) makes me cough non stop
You can make your own, it's not difficult to do.

Put four cups of water in a pan on the stove to boil. Into one cup of COLD water, mix four tablespoons of cornstarch and a drop or two of liquid detergent (whatever you use for dishes or clothes). Mix well.

When the water on the stove is boiling, give the cold starch solution a last stir, then stir the boiling water as you pour the starch solution into it. Continue stirring until the mixture in the pan thickens and turns clear. Remove the pan from heat.

When the starch mixture has cooled, you can mix to your liking with cold water (the more water you add, the thinner the starch).

The starch mixture will keep in the refrigerator for a week, sometimes longer. If it looks clear, it's good; if it is cloudy, toss it.

Very cheap, no preservatives, no unwanted scents.