Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: no clue

I have been "collecting" fabric of certain colors for a bit now and just looked through it and counted. I have 14 yards of 13 different fabrics, some 2 yard pieces, some 1 and some halves. I also have a jelly roll and 2 FQ's ... the problem is I have no idea what I want to do with it other than a quilt for my bedroom. LOL ... What to do? What to do?

How about a sampler quilt? You'll have one block each of a variety and you can practice different blocks while deciding which is your favorite.

Dumb question, what size blocks are the "norm" in a sampler quilt and how many blocks? Sorry if they sound like dumb questions but I know almost nothing about samplers.

They finish at 12 inches, if you go to EQuiltBlocks.com you can find lots of free sampler quilt blocks. If you want to PM me your e-mail address I will forward you a picture of one of my sampler quilts, I gave it to my youngest daughter so all I have is a photo she sent me to share with you, but samplers can reall showcase your fabrics in a lot of different ways

Most traditional samplers have blocks that measure 12 inches (12 1/2 inches unfinished); however, you can make them any size you want. And however many you want to make the size of quilt you want. You can stitch them together with sashings or stitch them together block to block. You have the choice. You might want to look for pictures of sampler quilts on webshot.com or any of the thousands of sites showing quilts to get an idea. The main thing is to have fun with your fabrics!

how about a wall quilt?

Quote Originally Posted by mysippycup2
    Dumb question, what size blocks are the "norm" in a sampler quilt and how many blocks? Sorry if they sound like dumb questions but I know almost nothing about samplers.
    The Quilter's Cache website has tons of free quilt blocks grouped by size. Page #54 has blocks for a star sampler. They are all 12".

Thank you all for the information and suggestions. I am off to look at sampler pictures/ patterns. ☺

Sampler quilts are alot of fun to complete give one a try!

I was never much into sampler quilts, but I joined in with a group making a star sampler quilt. Each person picked a star block, and everyone made on in her colors to go into her quilt. I had to stretch a little, make blocks I never would have chosen. In the end, I really liked the quilt I came up with. Here's a picture of the finished blanket:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01604069McINAY

Laurie

Samplers don't have to be certain blocks or certain sizes, you can pick whatever block you want. It's your quilt, do whatever you want to do.

Blog Entries
    You can pick a theme for your sampler quilt, vary the size of blocks, pick one color to use in each block or go completley scrappy... Whatever appeals to you, it is your quilt :D:D:D

I have been saving fabrics for my own bed quilt, some may not make the final cut LOL but until I get "enough" whenever that may be, the collection continues to grow :wink:

Blog Entries
    You can even mix up the sizes of the blocks for a more interesting look. Like, start with say, a 12" finished star block or something, then make some 6" finished blocks to pair up, making them 12" on one side and 6" on the end, so you can put them in between the 12" blocks.
    Think on this a bit, and you will come up with some stunning combinations.